The El Camino Police Department has an active Police Cadet program that plays a vital role in providing quality police services to our community. The Police Cadets are El Camino College students who work part-time for the department while attending El Camino College.

The program allows a student to gain valuable experience working in a law enforcement setting while pursuing their educational goals. Police Cadets are paid and have the opportunity to earn college credit through the Administration of Justice Department, Cooperative Career Education Program.

 Police Cadets work about 15-20 hours per week and perform a variety of assignments that assist the department with delivering quality police services to the El Camino College Community.

Some of the functions performed by the Police Cadets are: giving directions and assistance to the public; escorting students, staff and visitors; parking enforcement; making emergency notifications; providing assistance and traffic control at special events; operating the campus courtesy shuttle; locking and unlocking of campus facilities; delivering evidence to the lab for processing and reporting suspicious activity.

Minimum requirements for the position are:

  • Currently enrolled as a student at El Camino College
  • 18 years of age
  • Possess a valid California Drivers license
  • Possession of a High School Diploma or equivalent
  • No felony criminal or disqualifying misdemeanor criminal conviction
  • Able to pass a thorough background investigation, including a
  • Fingerprint check with D.O.J./F.B.I.

We are currently looking for qualified individuals who are interested in becoming Police Cadets. Cadets should enjoy working with the public and be able to work in a fast paced environment.

Our Police Cadets are recruited by local law enforcement agencies including our own and now serve in many law enforcement agencies throughout the Southern California area.

If you are interested in becoming part of this program, please email the program coordinator Mike Martinez or call (310) 660-3100 and ask to be transferred.