The ECC Academic Senate fosters the effective participation by community college faculty in all academic and professional matters; develops, promotes, and acts upon policies responding to collegewide concerns; and serves as the official voice of the faculty of El Camino College in academic and professional matters.
According to ECC Board Policy 2510, “the Board will normally accept the recommendations of the Academic Senate on academic and professional matters as defined by Sub-Chapter 2, Section 53200, et seq., California Administrative Code, Title 5, and as listed below:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines;
- Degree and certificate requirements;
- Grading policies;
- Educational program development;
- Standards and policies regarding student preparation and success;
- District and College governance structures as related to faculty roles;
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation process, including self- study and annual reports;
- Policies for faculty professional development activities;
- Processes for program review;
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development, and
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the Board of Trustees and the Academic Senate.
If the District Governing Board of Trustees disagrees with the recommendation of the Academic Senate, representatives of the two bodies shall have the obligation to meet and reach mutual agreement by written resolution, regulation, or policy of the Governing Board.
Support for all Students
The El Camino College Academic Senate is committed to advocating for all of our students in order to create a safe and successful learning environment. El Camino College Academic Senate Statement of Support for All Students. To learn more about resources to support students, visit AB540 and Undocumented Student Resources.