El Camino College Basic Skills
Welcome to the ECC Basic Skills Web page designed to provide faculty and staff with
a centralized and accessible source for information, policies, procedures, resources,
and professional development opportunities for enhancing the success of our basic
Purpose of Basic Skills Web page:
- Connect faculty and staff to basic skills resource materials, including reference
materials, statewide documents, effective practices.
- Provide information about Student Success Services on campus.
- Disseminate information regarding the campus action plan, the Basic Skills Advisory
Group, campus Basic Skills Coordinators, Basic Skills programs on campus, and ECC
Basic Skills projects.
- Publicize and track the data gathered, analysis, and progress made at El Camino College.
- Provide information on professional development activities for Basic Skills, including
webinars, conferences and regional meetings.
El Camino College Goals for Basic Skills:
- Increase the success rate of students enrolled in ESL, basic skills mathematics, reading
and writing courses.
- Increase year-to-year persistence rate of students enrolled in basic skills courses.
- Increase completion rates (certificates, degrees, transfer) of students who begin
their college education at the basic skills level.
- Offer a comprehensive professional development program for basic skills instructors
that is ongoing, consistently supported, collaborative, faculty-driven, and engages
increasing numbers of full- and part-time faculty.
- Increase the incidents and depth of collaboration among academic departments and between
academic programs and student services to support basic skills students.