CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF REAL ESTATE
BROKER APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS:
- Education: Complete 8 statutorily-required college-level courses:
The following five courses are required plus any three from the next group below:
(RE 13) Real Estate Practice 3 units (RE 12A) Legal Aspects of Real Estate 3 units (RE 14A) Real Estate Finance I 3 units (RE 40) Real Estate Appraisal 3 units (RE 16) or (BUS 1A) Real Estate Economics or Accounting (Bus 1A)* 3 units/4 units
Pick THREE* from the following group:
(RE 11) Real Estate Principles 3 units (Law 5) Contracts, Sales and Commercial Paper 3 units (RE 19) Real Property Management 3 units (RE 26) Principles of Escrow 3 units (RE 31) Mortgage Loan Brokering and Lending 3 units (RE 14B) Advanced Real Estate Finance 3 units (RE 41) Advanced Real Estate Appraisal 3 units
*If both RE16 and & BUS1A are taken, only 2 courses from the group are required.
- Age: Must be at least 18 years old to obtain license,
- Experience: Must be one of the following:
2 years full-time salesperson experience within past 5 years, OR
1 year full-time salesperson experience in California with an Associate degree (ECC Real Estate AS degree)
No work experience if applicant has a four-year degree from an accredited college, or if applicant holds an LL.B. or J.D. degree or is a graduate of a law school recognized by the California State Bar. An Employment Verification Form is required.
- Pay Licensing fee,
- License: Pass the State Exam with 75% or more on 200 questions.
- Must have livescan fingerprint card completed for background check.
- Activation: License must be activated within one year from date of examination.
- Pass the State Exam
Click Here to access the DRE website