Applied Music (Mu 190) is a four semester series of one-unit courses for the Music Major to further develop musical skills, obtain an Associate of Arts Degree, and successfully transfer to a four-year institution for continued music study. The program includes private music lessons in piano, organ, voice, electric and acoustic guitar, and all orchestral instruments. Music styles include jazz, classical and Broadway theater.
Applied Music Instructors
The Applied Music Instructors are experienced, certificated and professional musicians. Instructors are part of the 35 plus member staff which includes both full-time and adjunct faculty members. See the Applied Music Faculty Biographies.
The Applied Music program is offered during the Fall and Spring semesters only. Students must apply, audition and be accepted into the Applied Music program BEFORE they may register. Students should begin their application process approximately two weeks before the beginning of the Fall or Spring semester and follow the audition instructions below. Jump to to Apply Auditions.
The Applied Music Program is designed for El Camino Music majors and students who are serious about improving their performance skills and have already reached at least an intermediate level of proficiency. Students must also be prepared to devote adequate time to the program. An audition is required for initial entrance to the program.
High school seniors in their second semester may audition for the program but must compete with college students for acceptance. Individuals with a degree in Music (AA, BA, BM or higher) are not eligible.
Students accepted into the Applied Music program are required to do the following:
1. Attend the Applied Music Program Orientation Meeting on the first Tuesday of the semester 1:00-2:00 Haag Recital Hall
2. Enroll in one unit of Music 190, committing to a weekly individual lesson and a weekly recital class
3. Enroll concurrently in one of the large performance ensemble classes at El Camino College
- Instrumentalists choose from:
Music 265 Symphonic Band, Music 266 Studio Jazz Band, Music 267 Concert Jazz Band, Music 268 Symphony Orchestra, Music 269 Guitar Ensemble Instrumental Ensembles
- Vocalists choose from:
Music 151 Mixed Chorus, Music 152 Concert Choir, Music 253 Chorale, Music 258 Vocal Jazz Ensemble Choral Ensembles
- Pianists and guitarists
You may choose from any of the above, but the instrumental group acceptance may be limited.
- Instrumentalists choose from:
4. Practice a minimum number of hours every week on campus (3+) Applied Music Practice Hour Form
5. Follow the Music Major Education Plan Co-requisite courses
- Music 190A Applied Music I MU 131 Beginning Piano (recommended)
- Music 190B Applied Music II MU 101 Music Fundamentals (required)
- Music 190C Applied Music III MU 103A Music Theory (required)
- Music 190D Applied Music IV MU 103B Music Theory, MU 215 Music History (required)
5. Attend three professional music performances at ECC and in the community
To apply to the Applied Music program:
1. Complete an Applied Music Application form. Applied Music Application Form
2. Have a Music Teacher/Director complete the online recommendation form and submit it electronically by Monday, 10:00 p.m. the night before the audition. Applied Music Faculty Recommendation Form
3. Schedule an audition appointment in the Fine Arts Division Office (Music Building Room 101) approximately three weeks before the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters.
4. Audition on Tuesday before the first week of instruction.
Auditions are held 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on the Tuesday preceding the first week of instruction of the Fall and Spring semesters. For the audition, you should prepare a brief musical composition (no more than five minutes) that demonstrates your musicianship and technical achievement.
AUDITIONS FOR FALL will be held Tuesday, August 21, 2018 between 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Piano & Organ: 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. Recital Hall Music 7
- Jazz Instruments & Vocal Jazz: 10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Band Room, Marsee Aud. Room 130
- Classical & Broadway Voice: 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Recital Hall Music 7
- Classical Instruments 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Band Room, Marsee Aud. Room 130 (guitars, strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion)
Bring to the audition:
- The completed Applied Music Application, or email it to the instructor by 10:00 p.m. the night before the audition.
- Your sheet music. An accompanist will be provided.
At the audition:
- Perform a brief musical composition (no more than 5 minutes) that demonstrates your musicianship and technical achievement in the area of Classical, Jazz, or Musical Theater.
- You may be asked to sight read and play or sing music excerpts and scales.
Designated Applied Music Sections:
- Tuesday 2:00-2:50 p.m. Jazz Instruments & Vocal Jazz
- Tuesday 3:15-4:05 p.m. Classical Piano & Organ
- Thursday 2:00-2:50 p.m. Classical Instruments (guitars, strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion)
- Thursday 3:00-3:50 p.m. Classical & Broadway Voice
After the Audition
Students will be notified of audition results in the evening of the day of auditions. Accepted students must register by adding the class online with an add sticker provided after the audition. It will be necessary to enroll in an El Camino College performance ensemble prior to adding the Applied Music course.
For more information about the Applied Music program contact:
Jazz Instruments & Vocal Jazz Dr. Alan Chan email@example.com
Classical Piano & Organ Dr. Rafael Liebich firstname.lastname@example.org
Classical Instruments Dr. Dane Teter email@example.com
Classical and Broadway Voice Dr. Kevin Blickfeldt firstname.lastname@example.org