Kinesiology / Physical Education
The department will strive to assist the college in being the choice for successful student learning, caring student services and open access. Our aim is a well rounded curriculum which teaches students lifelong wellness and meets their needs for development, transfer, teamwork, and career. Goal setting and program advancement in conjunction with the institutional goals of the college in hopes of better serving our students is paramount.Our department believes in providing an education founded upon sound theory and application. This includes providing health education, wellness / fitness, athletics, recreation and adapted physical education courses that the community and students desire. All programs are an integral part of the institution's total educational program.
What is Kinesiology?
Kinesiology, from the Greek words kinesis (movement and Kinein (to move), also known as human kinetics, is the science of human movement. It is a regulated health profession that focuses on physical activity. A kinesiological approach applies science-based medical principles to the analysis, preservation and enhancement of human movement in all settings and populations.
Our vision is to strive to meet our student's education and personal needs by providing excellent instruction throughout our diverse courses. The department will continue to assist the college by providing advancement in certificates, transfer and courses that assist our community in their goal of lifelong wellness/fitness.
The mission of Kinesiology/Physical Education is to educate, as well as empower all students to sustain regular, lifelong wellness/fitness as a foundation for a healthy, productive and fulfilling life. The department will utilize learning in the cognitive, affective and psychomotor domains in their instructional programs.
The mission includes, but is not limited to:
- Seeking to promote lifelong wellness/fitness through a comprehensive curriculum that furthers our student's development in our five program areas.
- To continue the advancement of programs through student learning outcomes and planning.
- Provide education, support and services to our students in an effort to enhance their foundation for lifelong wellness.
- Exploration into Kinesiology/Physical Education careers.
- Provide courses that reflect the diverse needs of our population while ensuring excellent instructional delivery.
- Design and offer courses that assist our 'gifted' students to pursue excellence and transfer in their chosen sport.