Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
California law requires all ambulance attendants to be trained and certified at the EMT level. Many fire departments also require firefighters to be EMT certified. EMTs are often used as the first dispatched medical providers within an Emergency Medical Services (EMS) system. Training consists of 160 hours, broken down into 136 lecture and laboratory hours and 24 hours of supervised field experience (12-hour ambulance ride-along, and 12 hour hospital emergency room clinical).
- EMT Course Syllabus
- EMT Daily Schedule
- EMT 8 Week Course Lecture & Lab Days
- BLS CPR Pit Crew Plan
- Patient Assessment (Primary)
- Patient Assessment (Secondary)
- LA County EMT Scope of Practice
El Camino College EMT Program provides each student that successfully completes the 160-hour course with an EMT Course Completion Certificate, EMT skills verification including LA County Scope of Practice, and access to test with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT).
It is the student's responsibility to successfully pass a computer-based adaptive EMT test through the NREMT in order to receive a National EMT Certification:
It is the student's responsibility to provide Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency (EMSA) with all required application materials including El Camino College EMT Course Completion Certificate, NREMT certification, a LiveScan, and fees:
Students MUST provide proof of current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification through either the American Heart Association or American Red Cross:
- Each student will be REQUIRED to register for a NAVIGATE 2 account in order to complete all 40 computer-based quizzes:
- Each student will be REQUIRED to register for a FISDAP account in order to complete all 6 computer-based EMT Module tests:
- Students must be in proper uniform throughout the class. Students will wear navy
colored pants, a white uniform shirt and some type of black leather boots. Students
may purchase their uniform at:
- WestWay Uniforms
17920 S. Western Ave., Gardena, CA 90248
Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Monday - Friday)
Phone: (424) 396-3402
- WestWay Uniforms
- Proof of physical ability and current vaccinations are required for a student to participate in clinical rotations. Students will be required to upload all required documentation to our record management website for review prior to the scheduling of any clinical rotations. Proof of immunizations, including: Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR), Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap), Varicella, Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis test results (2 negative PPD skin test readings within 7-21 days of each other, 1 positive PPD skin test with a negative chest x-ray, or a negative QuantiFERON Gold TB blood test).
EMT Requirement Instructions
Ambulance Ride-Along Information
McCormick Ambulance Service (Station 8)
11184 California Avenue, Lynwood, CA 90262
All shifts are scheduled from 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Please arrive early and clean shaven. Bring your Student Task Book, McCormick contracts, Student ID card and equipment.
Hospital Emergency Department Information
Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center
4101 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90503
Shifts are scheduled from either 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. or 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Please check in with the Emergency Department. Bring your Student Task Book, Student ID card and equipment.
Los Angeles County EMSA requires that you complete the following online courses prior to being certified as an EMT:
- Incident Command System (ICS-100)
- Incident Command System (ICS-200)
- National Incident Management System (NIMS-700)