AEROSPACE MANUFACTURING EDUCATION (AME)
AME Project Objectives
The goal of this project is to develop an educational model that is effective in preparing manufacturing technology practitioners for the aerospace industry. This group includes operators, mechanics and assemblers that are generally prepared with a two-year degree, and manufacturing engineers that are generally prepared through a four-year degree program. The project objectives are to:
1. Identify the competencies required of operators, mechanics, and assemblers working in the manufacturing area in the aerospace sector.
2. Identify the competencies required of manufacturing engineers working in the aerospace manufacturing sector.
3. Identify common technology and business practices in which both groups must be fluent.
4. Identify likely new technologies that will be incorporated into aerospace manufacturing and the training needed to implement it.
5. Develop model curricula to prepare both groups.
6. Develop an assessment and certification tool to validate the preparation of aerospace manufacturing technologists.
7. Test the assessment tool against current workers in aerospace manufacturing industry.
8. Test the new components of the curricula and validate with the assessment tool.
9. Disseminate the model curricula to other schools.
10. Offer the assessment tool as a certification to existing workers.