Instructions for Change of Status


If you want to change your status from: B1/2, J1/2, E1/2, L1/2 to a student visa - F1 student visa, please call or visit the Language Academy office so that we can review the procedures with you. 

Change of Status applications are processed through USCIS.  ECLA can provide the Change of Status I-20 once a student applies to ECLA, however ECLA cannot give advice nor recommendations to students.  ECLA is not responsible for status changes.

ECLA Change of Status Application Procedures:

  1.  Complete and sign the ECLA application
  2.  Complete and sign the I-539 Form (a copy of the I-539 form can be found at:
  3.  Copy of inside of your passport
  4.  One passport size photo
  5.  Current bank letter (or financial statement) showing at least $9,000
  6.  Copy of high school graduation certificate
  7.  Form I-94, Nonimmigrant Arrival Departure Record

Questions?  Please contact: 
El Camino College – Language Academy (ECLA)
Telephone: (310) 660-6473  /  Fax: (310) 808-1154
Email: or