El Camino College
Division of Mathematical Sciences
Dr. Don Goldberg, Dean
Procedures for pre-college students enrolling in Mathematical Sciences courses
Each pre-college student wishing to enroll in a course in this division (Mathematics, Computer Science, and Engineering) must submit appropriate supporting documents.
All students must present the following documentation to be considered for approval:
• Application for Enrollment (online)
• "11th and 12th Grade Concurrent Enrollment Form" with signature of parent/guardian and signature of a high school principal or counselor (Available at Admissions Office or online)
• El Camino College Mathematics Placement Test results or a record showing completion with "C" or better at an accredited college of the pre-requisite course.
Students in grade 10 or lower may be eligible to enroll in advanced courses, but must qualify based on the placement test or completion of prior college courses. They must submit additional documentation and obtain the approval of the Dean of the Division. Approval will not be granted for enrollment in courses at the pre-algebra or basic algebra level (MATH 10A, 10B, 12, 23, 25, 33, 40, 43). The following additional documents must be submitted:
• A signed letter from the principal on school letterhead stating how the student has the ability to benefit from enrolling in the course at El Camino College.
• A signed letter from a parent/guardian giving permission for the student to enroll in a class at El Camino College
• A copy of the student’s school transcripts (an unofficial copy is acceptable)
Students given division approval are not guaranteed a seat in class, as registration priority is given to college students. Many sections will be fully enrolled with full waiting lists by the time pre-college students are permitted to register.
Grade 11 and 12 students do not ordinarily require approval from the Division Dean.
All requests for action by the Division Dean must include contact information: phone number, e-mail address and postal address. Ordinarily, action will be taken within one week of submission. When registration for high school students is open, actions are normally taken within one working day. The student is responsible for submitting all documents to the Admissions and Records Office and for completing registration in the class section.
Parents should plan on making appropriate transportation arrangements for their children to safely arrive on the El Camino campus. Parents or other family members are not permitted to attend classes with their students.
Reference and contact information
Mathematical Sciences Division
Mathematics and Computer Science Building Room 101
(310) 660-3593 x3200
Students with questions about the procedures may speak with an Assistant to the Dean.
Admission and Records Office
Student Services Center
(310) 660-3593 x3414
Student Services Center Room 217
(310) 660-3593 x3405
Outreach and School Relations Office
Student Services Center Room 106
(310) 660-3593 x3487
El Camino Community Education
(310) 660-3593 x6460
Students and parents may wish to explore El Camino College’s Community Education "College for Youth" program for grade-level enrichment opportunities.