MCCP provides math, engineering and science academic enrichment to community college students so they excel academically and transfer to four-year institutions as math-based majors. The program establishes academic-based community centers at campuses where most students are commuters and opportunities for peer support and information-sharing are scarce. The program is supported by industry, so students learn firsthand about career options and learn about scholarships, internships and special programs.
MCCP is a partnership with the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office.
The main components of the MCCP include:
- Academic Excellence Workshops. Students are scheduled in the same core math and science classes and taught how to maintain high academic outcomes through group study.
- Academic Advising/Counseling. Students receive individualized guidance on classes and develop multi-year plans to ensure that they take courses in the most effective sequence to transfer in a timely manner.
- Student Study Center. This dedicated multipurpose space used for study, workshops and information sharing is a key element in building a close learning community.
- Assistance in the transfer process. MESA offers workshops on applications and counseling and field trips to universities.
- Career advising. Students are exposed to different math, engineering and science career options through industry mentors, field trips, job shadowing, career fairs and internship opportunities.
- Links with student and professional organizations. These resources provide mentors, guest speakers and tours of companies.
- Professional development workshops. Students participate in mock job fairs, learn resume preparation and interview skills and how to find part-time, full-time and summer employment.
- Industry Advisory Board. Corporate representatives, including many MESA alumni, participate on the board and provide scholarships, strategic planning, special summer internships, field trips and other resources. The board serves as a valuable connection between students and companies who need technical professionals.
MESA Community College Program are located throughout California.