STUDENT ENHANCEMENT TEAM (SET)
The El Camino College STEM Student Enhancement Team (SET) aims to provide El Camino College Students with the opportunity to develop leadership skills by exposing them to a collaborative near- peer teaching environment. The goal of the program is to reinforce instruction, increase positive student interaction, and improve the educational climate of mathematics and science for high school students. SET will provide exemplary college student leaders to serve as collaborative and personalized tutors in Math and/or Science at local high schools that have demonstrated a need and have created a partnership with El Camino College.
What will SET Provide to High Schools?
- Free tutoring assistance in the after school program at local high schools.
- A trained student leader who displays effective teaching and study strategies for students.
- SET Leaders have successfully taken courses in mathematics/science, with a grade of A or B and will be available to work approximately 10 hours per week.
- SET Leaders are pre-screened, finger printed by the El Camino College Campus Police Department, and have passed the TB Test provided by the El Camino College Health Center.
- SET provides an El Camino College representative to oversee the SET Leaders progress, program and serve as a liaison between high schools and the college.
What will SET Leaders Provide?
Math and/or Science tutoring assistance in a one-on-one or small group setting, to address educational trouble spots, strengthen study skills, and navigate the academic rigors and social challenges of high school.
- A positive student environment and the ability to relay tips on the most effective study skills.
- Empowers students to become independent learners.
- Offers a more individualized, systematic, structured learning experience.
- Provides greater congruence between teacher and learner, closer role model.
- Improves academic performance, personal growth and self esteem.
- Improves attitude toward subject area.
- Motivates self-paced and self-directed learning.
How will High School Students Benefit?
Through collaborative learning strategies and successful peer study sessions the student will develop a better understanding of course content as well as increase their ability to manage their own learning and study strategies. SET aims to enhance measurable positive changes in attitude towards teaching/learning for the participants and improve attitude toward subject area resulting in successfully passing course material.
What is the Role of the Participating Schools?
- Provide a safe environment for SET Leader participants.
- Assign a faculty/staff member that will maintain SET Leader time sheets.
- Maintain high school student after-school program sign-in sheets and share with the El Camino representative on a monthly basis.
Contact InformationJosefina Bedolla, Special Projects Coordinator
(310) 660-3593 ext. 3452