Department Banner



Steps to Enrolling into the CalWORKs Program

1.  APPLY: Complete an application online at Go to the bottom right hand corner of the page and click “Apply Online.” The directions will follow. It will take two days for your application to be processed and you will receive a confirmation email.

Please note: El Camino College has gone paperless and all correspondence is done online through MyECC.

2.  TEST: Take your Math & English Assessment Tests in the Student Services Center Room 217. This test will take 1 ½ to 2 hours to complete. You must bring a picture ID and pen/pencil with you. You can bypass this step only if you have attended another college and want to transfer units in English or Math. No children are allowed in the testing office!

3.   COUNSELING: You must see the CalWORKs Counselor so that they can do an educational assessment, review any transcripts that you may have, and do an educational plan to let you know exactly what it takes for you to successfully achieve your certificate or A.A. or A.S. degree. (Important: You must take your placement tests before seeing a counselor.)

4.   ENROLL: You will receive an enrollment date and time from the admissions office through MyECC. Please be sure to enroll as soon as possible to ensure that you get your classes that you need. Only enroll after speaking with a counselor to ensure that you enroll in the correct classes!

5.  CASE ADVISEMENT: You must see one of our Case Advisors. They will complete the GAIN and Child Care documents. Case Advisors also give out work activity referrals if you are interested in part time employment. You can not see the Case Advisor until after seeing the CalWORKs Counselor and enrolling in classes.

6.  FEE WAIVER: Apply for the Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver which will make your tuition FREE. You can go to and go to the Financial Aid page and got to “Get Forms” and print out the current Fee Waiver and the  Agency Certification that is completed by your DPSS Eligibility Worker. Submit both forms to the Financial Aid Office in the Student Services Center Room 215. If you have a “Notice of Action” dated within the last 30 days, you can submit it to financial aid along with the fee waiver instead of the Agency Certification form. 

7.  FAFSA: Apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at The FAFSA is financial aid offered to all individual s interested in attending college. These funds help pay for costs associated with attending school. Much of this money is free! Apply!


All appointments for the CalWORKs Counselors and Case Advisors can be made over the phone at (310) 660-6057.
The CalWORKs Office is located in Student Services Center Room 205B.


 Last Published 11/6/13