What is CalWORKs?
CalWORKs is the community portion of the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids Act: the welfare reform program established by Assembly Bill (AB) 1542.
CalWORKs funds assist single or two-parent families who are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and those in transition off welfare, to achieve long-term self-sufficiency through coordinated student services. The on campus program offering these services is the CalWORKs Program.
CalWORKs provides support to eligible students to obtain their educational degrees and certificates while gaining work experience leading to sustainable employment.
The CalWORKs Program staff are dedicated to providing quality career training and degree programs. A wide array of services are offered to help you achieve your goals.
- Career/Academic and Individual Advisement & Counseling
- Book/Supplies Voucher Assistance
- Employment assistance - including work-study assignments, resume writing, job search skills, and interview preparation
- Temporary Child Care Assistance
- Community/Support & Services Referral
- Job Placement Referrals and Assistance
- On-Site GAIN Workers and Advocacy
- Coordination with the Department of Social Services (DPSS)
- Completing SIP/VOC Referral forms, progress reports, educational plans, training verification, monthly attendance reports, book and supply material request forms.
- Student must submit a class printout with all documentation turned in for completion
- We have a three business day turn around for pick up of documentation
- Parent and child must be a recipient of CalWORKs/GAIN (TANF)
- Sign contract with college and GAIN program
- Be a full-time student (12 or more units) or approved exemption
- Student must comply with a combination of 20 / 30 a week (35 hours for two parent households) hours of academic coursework, work activity, laboratory time, structured internships, or other activities which will lead to proper preparation for their career. See link...
- Student must meet with their CalWORKs academic counselor at least once a semester to update their educational plan.
Staff contact:Clara Weston