- DE Organizational and Relationship Chart
- ECC Online Training Waiver Application
- Online Course Design Rubric
- AP 4105
- Policy on Distance Education
- Classroom Visitation Protocol
- Faculty Schedule Request (Each Division office has forms available)
- ECC Online Training Waiver
Online Teaching Requirements and Procedures
The Online Teaching Certification course will be transitioning from Professional Development to Distance Education. The new course will be 8 Weeks long, will combine the Canvas and Online Teaching training, and will be available fully online. If a faculty has completed the Canvas training already they will be able to complete the new course at an accelerated pace. The timeline for the transition is as follows. Professional Development will run one more Online Teaching Certification course, which will start in October and run through November. Distance Education will pick up the Online Teaching Certification starting in Spring 2019.
If you are interested in a waiver, the process is as follows:
El Camino College and Compton College faculty must complete:
- Canvas LMS Certification, and
- Online Teaching Certification course (Online Pedagogy/Online Course Design training)
Both trainings are offered through the Distance Education office, and must be completed before an online or hybrid class assignment if offered to the faculty.
Faculty have the option to waive these trainings as follows:
Filling out of the waiver form: ECC Training Waiver
To meet one or both portions of the waiver requirement, faculty must complete the following:
- For Canvas waiver:
- Faculty must present a certificate of completion for Canvas training from another institution (i.e. college-sponsored @ONE course, etc). This certificate must accompany the waiver application.
- You have been using Canvas at another institution/district that doesn’t grant completion certificates or formalized training. You will need to fill out the aforementioned waiver, AND set up an appointment with Distance Education Coordinator to go over your live site from a current Canvas institution using the following three criteria:
o Basic Knowledge of Canvas
o Three ways faculty use Canvas to initiate student contact
o ADA/508 compliance.
The criteria used to evaluate your course are proper implementation of the tools found in the Canvas Instructor Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131Canvas Instructor guide, demonstrating three ways faculty use to initiate instructor-student interaction.
- For Online Teaching Course Certification waiver:
- Faculty have a certificate of completion for training from another school/district/@ONE, AND filling out the Canvas waiver. (@one course which satisfies this requirement is Online Education Standards and Practices https://onlinenetworkofeducators.org/online-education-standards-and-practices/)
- You have been teaching at another institution/district that doesn’t grant completion
certificates or formalized training. You will need to fill out the aforementioned
waiver, and once submitted:
- You will be issued a sandbox in ECC Canvas instance
- Import the course you would like or have been asked to teach online for El Camino College. We ask that you submit a course that is ready to be taught online, in other words, a completely designed course.
- Your course will be review using the following two rubrics:
- OEI Course Design Rubric:http://ccconlineed.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/OEI_Rubric_Edited-ACC.pdf
- @One: Standards for Quality Online Teaching: http://ccconlineed.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/@ONE_SQOT_CC.pd
- Timeline is one week to import a course, align to rubrics, and set up an appointment with Distance Education Coordinator to go over your sandbox.
If you have any comments, questions, and concerns, please email Distance Education Coordinator: Dustin Black (email@example.com).