Preparation before Class
- Make sure that you can access your El Camino College (ECC) email. Important announcements from the campus and instructors are usually sent to your ECC email, not your personal email (i.e., Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail). For assistance with your ECC email, you may chat with technical support or call Information Technology Services (ITS) Help Desk at (310) 660-6571.
- Come to our free, on-campus Distance Education Student Welcome Hour or complete the web-based pre-orientation if this is your first online class at El Camino College. Please email the Distance Education Office for details.
- Read the Online Student Handbook
- Know and take advantage of the student resources provided by El Camino College
- Learn Student Readiness Tutorials
- The Course Management System (CMS) used in your class is Canvas, and the college-supported CMS used by all instructors. Make sure your Canvas login works. Once logged in, you may not see your class(es) yet. This is not a problem; most instructors do not publish their classes until the first day of class. Having the correct Canvas username and password is what's important at this point.
- On the First Day of Class
- Login to your course
- Navigate the site and get familiar with the structure of the course
- Read the Syllabus, Announcements and Assignments
- Contact your instructor if you have questions regarding the class
Online Readiness and Success
What it takes to be a successful online student?