History of Schauerman Library
The history of El Camino College and its library spans half a century. The following is a list of important milestones:
- October 17, 1946, the Board of Trustees of El Camino College approved a request to recondition empty barracks vacated at the close of World War II. In September, 1948, the temporary library opened with 27 seats, four tiers of bookstacks and 861 donated volumes. Miss Helen Rodgers, who had been librarian at Torrance High School, was hired as the first librarian. By the end of 1949, the collection had grown to 8,872 volumes, 75 periodicals and four newspapers.
- March 4, 1952, the first permanent library was completed.
- In 1961, the library was enlarged and a third floor was added.
- In 1987, the library was again enlarged.
- November 9, 1992, official groundbreaking ceremonies took place for new construction, completely renovating the existing library and adding much needed square footage. The new building was dedicated on September 8, 1994 and renamed the Sam Schauerman Library, after a past college president.
- August 17, 1998, the Library Media Technology Center (LMTC) opened. The LMTC's Computer Commons has about 170 new computers with full Internet access. The Computer Commons is also equipped with standard office applications, graphics, and a broad range of computer-assisted instructional software.
Today the Schauerman Library is part of the Learning Resources Unit of the college. This unit is comprised of the LMTC, Media Services, the Learning Resources Center, and the Schauerman and Music Libraries, all of which are responsible for instructional support at El Camino College.
The Schauerman Library is an excellent facility with more than 100,000 volumes, many periodicals, and digital resources such as information databases, making it the campus research center. Materials are organized throughout the facilities for easy use. Open stacks are maintained to give students direct access to all books, except those on Reserve. Librarians are available to assist users in their research and provide one-on-one and class instruction on the effective use of information resources.
Back to Library Homepage