As you’re likely aware, there’s an outbreak underway of a new respiratory illness called coronavirus. This outbreak originated in China, and the situation has now been declared a public health emergency. While there are no known cases of coronavirus at El Camino College, we should all be vigilant and careful. The Centers for Disease Control suggest the following good hygiene practices:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
If you or someone you know has recently traveled to China and feel sick, seek medical care right away. Before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.
More information about coronavirus is available here.