HONORS TRANSFER PROGRAM
To maintain the health of our community and to prevent the spread of Covid-19, the Honors Transfer Program will deliver HTP workshops and counseling appointments online via Zoom.
To schedule a counseling appointment with Paitzar Giourdjian, the HTP counselor click here
To chat with someone in our office, Monday - Thursday 9am - 4pm click here
To leave a voice message for someone to call you back, call (562) 281-7692.
The Honors Transfer Program (HTP) at El Camino College is designed to better prepare the highly motivated student to transfer successfully to a university and complete a Bachelor’s degree.
The HTP provides a unique learning environment that stresses academic excellence and develops the awareness necessary to achieve this goal. The major objective of the program is to prepare students to transfer by focusing on advanced reading, writing, critical thinking, and study skills. Honors courses are academically enriched to stimulate students intellectually, encourage independent critical thinking, and promote close interaction between students and faculty.
Honors courses fit into requirements of various associate degrees, as well as requirements needed to transfer to the University of California, California State University, and most other universities. Generally, students in the HTP complete the same number of courses as other students planning to transfer.
High School Students
Students who are currently in high school and will be attending ECC in Summer/Fall 2020 may apply to the HTP now. Our priority application period closes on April 23 at 5pm. We are here to answer any questions you may have and provide you with support for the application during our normal business hours.
- You must have an El Camino College Student ID number to begin the process.
- You should have a minimum 3.1 cumulative unweighted GPA. We will accept your application even if your GPA is below a 3.1 at the time that you apply.
- Upload your final transcript in June. At this time, if your cumulative unweighted GPA is below 3.1, your application will not be approved for acceptance into the program. You will be able to reapply during the fall semester.
Please note that current high school students who apply and are accepted to the HTP during this period will be eligible for priority registration through the Honors Transfer Program.
Current ECC Students
Students who are currently enrolled at ECC may apply to the HTP from April 1-April 23.
Please note that current ECC students who apply and are accepted to the HTP during this period will be eligible for priority registration through the Honors Transfer Program.
If you are a current student and do not yet have 9 transferable units completed with a cumulative transferable GPA of 3.1 or above, you will need to submit a completed grade progress report. You can find a copy of this report in the online Student Handbook or at the HTP office (Student Services Bldg. Room 228).
*IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL APPLICANTS: Students who are new to ECC will have to complete three crucial steps to be eligible for the Honors Transfer Program. The steps are:
- An ECC application
- An ECC orientation (either online or in person)
- An education plan (EdPlan) with an ECC counselor
You must read the HTP handbook to answer the open book test in the online application. Click the link to view/print the HTP Handbook.
Top 10 Reasons to Become a Member of the Honors Transfer Program:
- Priority admission consideration for universities
- Priority registration for ECC classes
- Smaller class size with excellent, committed professors
- Increased interaction with transfer counselors
- Informative workshops designed to help you succeed at ECC and when you transfer
- UCLA application “alternate major” option—increase your chances of being accepted to UCLA!
- Permanent notation of honors participation on ECC transcript
- Close academic and social interaction with other highly motivated honors students—build a network of peers with similar goals.
- Increased chances of receiving scholarships and internships.
- Special opportunities to conduct and present undergraduate research—stand out on your application!
Honors Transfer Program
c/o Natural Sciences Division
16007 Crenshaw Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90506
Phone: (310) 660-3815
How to Find Us
The HTP office is located in the Student Services Building, Room 228. Staff hours are Monday-Thursday, 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm.
Monday - Thursday, 9am - 5pm.
Closed on Fridays