Steps to Enroll in CalWORKs
skip to main content

 ECC CalWORKs Program Intake Process


 1. APPLY ONLINE: El Camino College Apply

Go to the top right hand corner of the page and click “APPLY”. It will take approximately two days for your application to be fully processed and you will receive a confirmation e-mail with your student identification number.


Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at FAFSA. This application determines eligibility for Student Financial Aid.  These funds will help you pay for costs associated with attending school. Obtain a current "Notice of Action" from your DPSS Eligibility Worker and  submit it to the Financial Aid Office.

If you DO NOT have a GAIN Services Worker go to Step 3
If you HAVE a GAIN Services Worker go to Step 4



Contact your local DPSS Office and apply for Cash Aid/ GAIN for yourself and your children. Once you have a GAIN Service Worker (GSW) contact them for a referral: Your GSW will determine which form is needed.

    • GN 6005A (Self-Initiated)
    • GN 6006 (Vocational) - Must be accompanied  with GN 6013 & 6014
    • GN 6390 (Multiple Schools Form) - Must be accompanied with GN 6013 & 6014

Visit the El Camino College CalWORKs Counselor to conduct an educational assessment, review any transcripts that you may have, and prepare an educational plan to help you successfully achieve your certificate or AA/AS degree. If your GAIN Services Worker provided you with a GN6006 or GN6390 referral you will need to bring the GN6013 and GN6014 (Welfare-to-Work Plan) for the ECC CalWORKs Counselor to review.


You will receive an enrollment date and time from the Admissions & Records office through MyECC. Please be sure to enroll as soon as possible to ensure that you get the classes you need.It is advisable to enroll in classes after speaking with a counselor to ensure that you enroll in the correct classes!


Schedule an appointment with the CalWORKs Case Advisor to complete your GAIN and Child Care documents. The CalWORKs Work-Study Case Advisor can provide you with work activity referrals for part time employment. Remember that you can ONLY meet with the Case Advisors after seeing the CalWORKs Counselor and enrolling in classes.