The Opportunity Project (TOP)
About The Opportunity Project
The Opportunity Project (TOP) links a Counselor with specific English and math courses so students are ensured access to support services they deserve. As a result, student support services, instructional faculty, and students are collaboratively engaged in the process of education.
To welcome, support, challenge, and encourage all students towards excellence while recognizing and addressing the institutional and systemic barriers that they may face.
Students enrolled in participating TOP classes will:
- Meet individually an assigned counselor at least once during the semester
- Develop a comprehensive education plan with a counselor
- Participate in classroom presentations and workshops
Studies consistently demonstrate a much higher educational plan completion rate for students in The Opportunity Project courses when compared to students not currently enrolled.
- More students in TOP sections received other El Camino College services compared to those in course sections outside of the program (24 percent versus two percent). Overall, the rates of educational planning and counseling were statistically significant.
- Persistence rates were slightly higher (three to five percentage points) for the counselor-assisted group.
- Passing students in the counselor-assisted group were much more likely to attempt the next math course than others (78 percent versus 69 percent).
- Successful Math-12 students were more likely to pass the next math class, with 48 percent of students passing their second math course compared to 40 percent in other class sections.
Additional TOP Resources
This is a compiled list of all the workshops that we are offering this semester and has the information for you to be able to RSVP for our events!
This list of classes will help you identify which counselor is assigned to your particular class.
Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) is a mentoring/tutoring program which aims to provide a learning atmosphere which differs from the traditional tutorial environment by focusing on a group atmosphere with “peer to peer” interaction and learning. The program is welcome to all enrolled students in the PASS assisted courses. Participation is voluntary and it utilizes trained facilitators.
The mission of the Library & Learning Resources is to foster a productive learning environment by providing quality resources, instruction, and instructional support services to the El Camino College and the community. We provide academic resources and services to all students, faculty and other members of the El Camino College community. Please visit us online, in person on campus, or give us a call to discover how we can help you be as successful as possible in your academic endeavors.
The Basic Skills Study Center is located on the 2nd floor of the Schauerman Library. The BSSC consists of networked computer workstations that students use to access individualized computer assisted instruction programs in basic reading and basic math. These programs, with full reading and math curricula, include diagnostic testing, evaluation, and monitoring of student progress. To utilize the individualized programs, students either register in the Academic Strategies 1abcd course for instructor support or work on the programs on an individual drop-in basis.
The Writing Center offers every El Camino College student one-on-one assistance with writing a college essay. Our highly qualified professional tutors, all of whom have a bachelor's or master's degree, also provide tutorials in grammar, Internet research, documentation, and specialized writing tasks such as cover letters and application essays. All services are drop-in; no appointment is necessary. We look forward to helping everyone navigate a successful journey.
The Math Study Center is here to help students succeed in their courses, they do this by providing an appropriate atmosphere to study math, one-on-one tutoring and access to mathematical software and web-based software for mathematics courses.
Hours and Staff Information
Monday 8:30 am - 6:30 pm
Tuesday 8:30 am - 6:30 pm
Wednesday 8:30 am - 6:30 pm
Thursday 8:30 am - 6:30 pm
Friday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
|Dr. Atheneus Ocampo||Coordinatoremail@example.com|