The Opportunity Project (TOP)
About The Opportunity Project
The Opportunity Project (TOP) links a Counselor with specific English and math courses so students are ensured access to support services they deserve. As a result, student support services, instructional faculty, and students are collaboratively engaged in the process of education.
To welcome, support, challenge, and encourage all students towards excellence while recognizing and addressing the institutional and systemic barriers that they may face.
Students enrolled in participating TOP classes will:
- Meet individually an assigned counselor at least once during the semester
- Develop a comprehensive education plan with a counselor
- Participate in classroom presentations and workshops
Studies consistently demonstrate a much higher educational plan completion rate for students in The Opportunity Project courses when compared to students not currently enrolled.
- More students in TOP sections received other El Camino College services compared to those in course sections outside of the program (24 percent versus two percent). Overall, the rates of educational planning and counseling were statistically significant.
- Persistence rates were slightly higher (three to five percentage points) for the counselor-assisted group.
- Passing students in the counselor-assisted group were much more likely to attempt the next math course than others (78 percent versus 69 percent).
- Successful Math-12 students were more likely to pass the next math class, with 48 percent of students passing their second math course compared to 40 percent in other class sections.
This list of classes will help you identify which counselor is assigned to your particular class.
|Dr. Atheneus Ocampo||Co-Coordinatoremail@example.com|