First Year Experience Learning Communities Program
First Year Experience
Student Services Center Rm 204
The First Year Experience Program is now accepting applications for current high school seniors interested in being part of our 2017 cohort. Students must be part of the graduating class of 2017 in order to qualify for our program. After you have submitted the FYE student application, you will be invited to the campus to attend an upcoming information session to learn more about the program, services, and requirements to be eligible for the incoming class. Click here to apply!
**Please note: All prospective El Camino College students should submit their admissions application for fall 2017 beginning November 1, 2016 to begin the process of enrolling, assessing, and completing the orientation process for fall 2017. We encourage all prospective students to get an early start and apply to El Camino College as early as November.
The Top 5 Reasons You Should Join FYE! (Provided by the office of Institutional Research)
- Students who participate in the First Year Experience Program (FYE) need fewer courses in English and Math to successfully complete transfer-level English and college-level math than students who did not participate in FYE.
- FYE students reach the 30-unit threshold faster than students who do not participate in FYE, achieving 30 units nearly one term faster than students who were not in FYE program.
- FYE students are twice as likely to earn their associate degrees within a three-year time period than students who are not in FYE.
- FYE students are more likely to persist into their second year at El Camino College than students who are not in FYE.
- Last, FYE students are more likely to transfer to 4 year universities than students who did not participate in FYE. There is a 20-25 point difference for students participating in FYE.
Learn How to Be a Successful Student
Starting a new educational journey can be exciting and overwhelming. Whether you are transitioning from high school or returning after a few years of working, there are so many decisions to make and challenges to face. The First Year Experience program is designed to help you be successful in your first year of college life by providing a supportive, caring environment of educational and career services.
- Early Group Registration
- FYE Bilingual Counselor
- Learning Community Courses
- Strategies for Success in College
- FYE Faculty
- Field Trips
The El Camino Community College District is committed to providing equal opportunity in which no person is subjected to discrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, sex, race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or retaliation.