FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE
LEARNING COMMUNITIES PROGRAM
After you "Apply to FYE", please RSVP to one of the FYE INFORMATION SESSIONS below. Please download the following test preparation sheet and practice (PDF) before taking the El Camino College English & Math placement exam. You will be allowed to attend the FYE information session even if you have not taken the placement exam. Please study for the exam ahead of time because you will only be allowed to take our exam twice before placement in courses this fall.
Tuesday – June 4th / 4:30pm – 6:00pm
Tuesday – June 18th / 4:30pm – 6:00pm
Tuesday – June 25th / 4:30pm – 6:00pm
The First Year Experience (FYE) Program is NOW accepting applications for the 2013-2014 cohort. All interested applicants should apply online to be considered for next fall's cohort. Students must be part of the graduating class of 2013 school year to participate in the FYE Program for fall 2013.
The Top 5 Reasons You Should Join FYE!
- Students who participate in the First Year Experience Program (FYE) need fewer courses in English and Math to successfully complete transfer-level English and college-level math than students who did not participate in FYE.
- FYE students reach the 30-unit threshold faster than students who do not participate in FYE, achieving 30 units nearly one term faster than students who were not in FYE program.
- FYE students are twice as likely to earn their associate degrees within a three-year time period than students who are not in FYE.
- FYE students are more likely to persist into their second year at El Camino College than students who are not in FYE.
- Last, FYE students are more likely to transfer to 4 year universities than students who did not participate in FYE. There is a 20-25 point difference for students participating in FYE.
** Provided by the office of Institutional Research
Learn How to Be a Successful Student
Starting a new educational journey can be exciting and overwhelming. Whether you are transitioning from high school or returning after a few years of working, there are so many decisions to make and challenges to face. The First Year Experience program is designed to help you be successful in your first year of college life by providing a supportive, caring environment of educational and career services.
• Early Group Registration
• FYE Bilingual Counselor
• Learning Community Courses
• Strategies for Success in College
• FYE Faculty
• Field Trips
The El Camino Community College District is committed to providing equal opportunity in which no person is subjected to discrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, sex, race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or retaliation.