ABOUT THE FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE PROGRAM
The First Year Experience program is designed to prepare you for academic success and to help you in selecting the career path that's right for you. Whether you are transitioning from high school or just beginning your college education, the rigors of college life can present even the best students with challenges that require major adjustments. Sometimes getting started may seem overwhelming, as there are many decisions to make. That's why we have created a supportive environment here at El Camino College where there are people and programs to assist you with your college career.
Through the First Year Experience program, you will learn more about how to be a successful student. You will gain knowledge of how to study and learn in groups; have access to vital campus and college resources; be able to explore a chosen major and create a career plan; interact in a multicultural environment; develop important study skills; and learn how to access and manage electronic information, such as e-mail, Internet, and library databases.
The First Year Experience program offers you...
- Early Group Registration for all ECC classes to help ensure enrollment in desired courses.
- Orientation - A variety of special events especially designed to enhance your transition to college.
- First Year Experience Counselor will help students with: academic planning, personal counseling, and career development
- Learning Community Courses, which will help satisfy general education and elective graduation requirements. Students may also take additional classes, outside the cluster, to reach full-time status.
- Strategies for Success in College course designed to introduce new students to college life and expectations.
- First Year Experience Faculty - A team of professional, caring and committed faculty dedicated to supporting the success of First Year Students
- Field trips to various UC, CSU, & Private Universities.
- Guest Speakers
- Peer Mentors - Second Year Students who are in good standing with the college, and will be available to answer questions, share experiences, and help first year students transition into college.
How to register to an FYE Learning Community:
Complete El Camino College application.
Submit FYE program application.
Compete English and Math placement exams at the El Camino College Assessment and Testing Center located in Student Services Building 2nd Floor room 217, M/T/TH from 10am-4pm; Wed. 10am-5pm; closed on Fridays.
Contact Theresa Clifford at (310) 660-6936 to schedule your first counseling appointment with the First Year Experience program as soon as possible as space is limited.