Supplemental Instruction (SI) Coach Job Description
- Pick up an SI Coach application in MBA 329 or download from ECC SI WEBSITE.
- Submit a completed application along with unofficial transcripts from ECC and/or other colleges attended.
- Take a quiz in the subject(s) you want to coach in order to assess current knowledge in the course.
- Schedule an interview.
• Enjoy interacting with your peers.
• Have a strong understanding of the content in the course you want to coach.
• Be able to communicate clearly and effectively with peers, staff, and faculty.
• Be able to commit to working an average of 7-10 hours per week for the entire semester.
• Have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
A typical work week involves:
• 3 to 5 hours attending lecture, depending on the course units
• 1 to 2 hours planning SI sessions
• 2 hours facilitating SI sessions
• ½ hour attending SI staff meeting
• ½ hour meeting with course instructor
• Assist students with course content and academic development.
• Attend all class lectures. You will know what the instructor expects from the students while building student rapport.
• Plan and facilitate two (50 minute) SI study sessions during the week.
• Promote the SI sessions to the class. Effective promotion is essential to increase student attendance in the SI sessions.
• Help students refine learning skills such as note taking, test preparation, problem solving, organization, and group studying.
• Develop and maintain working partnership with instructor.
• Attend pre semester and on-going SI Coach training.
• Being an SI Coach is an invaluable experience for all careers, especially future educators, managers, C.E.O.s, and entrepreneurs.
• Excellent extra-curricular activity for university transfer applications.
• Refine your leadership, speaking, and instructional skills. Learn to manage and motivate groups of people.
• Develop collegiate camaraderie, build self-confidence, and become a more efficient learner.
• Improve your listening, administrative, and organizational abilities.
• Earn $12.00/hr.
Please submit application and unofficial transcripts in person or through email
Luis Barrueta, M.S., SI Coordinator MBA Building Room 329 firstname.lastname@example.org 310-660-3612