CSUDH Liberal Studies: ETLO
skip to main content

Childhood Education

Associate in Arts Degree, Certificates of Achievement, and Child Development Permit Information

Childhood Education Major Requirements:  AA.Degree.Checklist (PDF)
Certificates of Achievement: Certificate Checklist (PDF)
California State Department of Education: Child Development Permits

The degree and certificates in childhood education prepare students for careers in private or public programs serving infants, toddlers, preschoolers, children with special needs, or children in before and after school care.

The transfer degree option prepares students to continue studies at a four-year institution. Students will acquire the ability to apply developmental theories in observing and assessing children in physical, cognitive, and psychosocial domains and will develop skills needed for working effectively with families, co-workers, and community agencies. Students will also gain the ability to design, implement, and evaluate developmentally appropriate and culturally sensitive curriculum. Program assessment will be conducted regularly through examinations, presentations, student self-assessment, portfolios, and tracking student employment and promotion in the teaching field.

California State Department of Education Child Development Permits

The Child Development Permit qualifies the holder to teach in publicly funded early childhood education programs such as Head Start and State Preschool.

All Child Development Permits are renewable after 5 years by completing 105 hours of professional growth activities. This may include college courses, staff development activities and/or conference and workshop attendance.

A minimum grade of C is required in all Child Development courses applied toward the Child Development Permit.

Some Child Development Permits require 16 general education units. Recommended courses for this requirement are: Biology 10; English 1A, 27; Psychology 5 or Sociology 101 or Anthropology 2. 

Program Overview and List of Classes (PDF)

For further information, place contact a counselor or the Permit Specialist at 310-660-3593 ext. 3755 or email at jjefferis@elcamino.edu.

Preparation for the Transfer Major

For information on specific university major requirements, please obtain a transfer curriculum guide sheet in the Counseling Services Center, consult with your counselor, or visit the Transfer Center. You may use the transfer major requirements to help you fulfill your associate degree requirements.  

California State University, Dominguez Hills
Liberal Studies:  Early Teaching and Learning Option (ETLO)

Child Development Courses (21 units)

(Some courses may be substituted for the courses listed below. See the Seeds Counselor for verification.)

Concentration Courses (12 units)
-CDEV 108 The Preschool Child
-CDEV 114 Observing and Guiding Children
Two Courses From:
-CDEV 119 Language Arts for Young Children
-CDEV 116 Creative Art for Young Children
-CDEV 117 Music and Movement for Young Children
-CDEV 118 Math and Science for Young Children
Elective Courses (9 units)
-Unrestricted: Any nine units of child development courses

General Education and Major Preparation Courses (39)

(Some courses may be substituted for the courses listed below.  See the Seeds Counselor for verification.)

-Art 1 or Theatre 1
-Biology 10
-Child Development 103
-Communication Studies 1
-Dance 1 or Music 11
-Education 101
-English 1A
-English 1C
-History 140 or Anthropology 12
-History 1A
-Math 110
-Oceanography 10, Astronomy 20, or Astronomy 25
-Political Science 1
-Area C2 Course