Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
skip to main content



Do I need to take the TOEFL before my application?

You do not need to take the TOEFL exam if you plan to enter the Language Academy.


Can I take just the TOEFL class?

If you are an F-1 Visa student, you must participate in all of the Language Academy classes. If you have a non-student visa or are a US resident, you may take just the TOEFL class.   


Is ECLA separate from El Camino College?

ECLA in on the campus of El Camino College and is an intensive English language program - not-for-credit.  Once a student successfully completes the Language Academy it is possible to transfer to El Camino College. 

The ECLA curriculum was developed to prepare students for academic studies in the United States. Students are given four hours a week of TOEFL preparation class in order to meet the 450 (Institutional) or 133 (CBT) or 45 (iBT) TOEFL score requirements for entrance into El Camino College. However, students who successfully pass the highest level of the Language Academy (Level 3) may be admitted to El Camino College regardless of their TOEFL score.


Do you have housing facilities on campus?

No.  Unfortunately, we do not, but we can provide you with information about home stay, roommate services, and apartments in the area. Click here for the information.


Do you provide international students with scholarships?

El Camino College is a two-year community college and scholarships for international students are not available.  El Camino has up-to-date information on scholarships for all students and we encourage our students to become familiar with the latest information.  In addition, during the first year in the United States F-1 Visa students are not allowed to work outside the campus, so you must secure financial support before coming here to study.


Can I get financial support outside or inside the US?

If you are an F-1 Visa student, it is recommended that all of your funding come from your native country.


Where do ECLA students come from?

We have had students from 40 countries - the student population is diverse and the students enjoy making friends from all over the world.


Can I participate in sports at El Camino College?

No.  International students at the Language Academy cannot audit a physical education class.  There are other sports related activities near El Camino College. We will be happy to provide you with the information.


What is the SEVIS fee?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), effective August 2004, requires the payment of a $200 service fee. This fee must be paid before your interview at the U.S. Consulate. Please refer to the instructions provided in your acceptance package or go to for more information.


Is El Camino College a safe place to study?

Yes. El Camino College is a safe place to study.  El Camino is located in Torrance, CA and we have a fully staffed Police Department. Security Officers patrol our campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Blue emergency phones are located throughout the campus. Anyone may use them to contact police when necessary.


I have other questions. Who do I contact?

If you have specific questions about the Language Academy, please contact: