skip to main content

MESA Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements to be a member of MESA?

  1. Enrollment in Trigonometry or more advanced math class
  2. Declare a transfer major in a math or science based field
  3. Demonstrate a financial need (as demonstrated in the programs below)
    • Eligible for EOP&S
    • Eligible for Board of Governor's Grant (Fee Waiver)
    • Parent/Guardian/Student on TANF (formerly AFDC)
    • Receive need based financial aid
    • Participant in one of the Federal TRIO Programs
  4. Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or above

How do I apply for MESA?

  1. Contact the MESA office at 310-660-3887
  2. Stop by the MESA|STEM Center located in the Natural Science basement to fill out an application

Is MESA at 4-year colleges and universities?

Yes, there is a similar program called MEP at some four-year schools. The main focus at that level is for engineering and computer science majors. To see a list of campuses that offer a MESA or MEP Program, visit the MESA Statewide web site at

How do I become a Facilitator for MESA Workshops?

To be eligible to become a Facilitator for MESA, you will need to fill out a Facilitator Application (available at the MESA|STEM Center), and submit a letter of recommendation and copy of your unofficial transcripts to the MESA office. After all material has been received, you will be contacted to schedule an interview.

What is the time commitment for a student to attend the AEW (Academic Excellence Workshops)?

As a student in the AEW, you are required to spend four hours per week in the workshop. This is the extent of the time commitment, as all work assigned during the workshop will be completed in the allotted time and is not to be taken home as homework. (It is recommended that you participate in a workshop for one subject only.)