



EL CAMINO COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Workplace Safety and Risk Management

16007 Crenshaw Boulevard, Torrance California 90506-0001

Telephone (310) 532-3670 or 1-866-ELCAMINO

www.elcamino.edu

Statement of Purpose

The Campus and Workplace Safety and Security Consultation Committee is proposed to be an administrative advisory committee that:

- Promotes safety, security awareness, and emergency preparedness across campus
- Advises on policy development and implementation
- Advises on campus safety/security practices
- Assists with emergency/incident planning and training

The primary role of the committee is to review and evaluate the effectiveness of current safety and security plans and practices and make recommendations for improvement. The committee provides a forum to discuss events affecting campus safety and security, and assist with campus-wide dissemination of information/communication relating to emergency/incident training and response plans. The committee also assists in assessment of vulnerabilities, hazards and risks related to the safety and security of individuals, and the physical campus.

Campus and Workplace Safety and Consultation Committee

March 19th meeting minutes

Leo Barrera: Presentation of committee membership list.

Roy Dietz: I do not see ECCE (El Camino Classified Employee)

Roy Dietz: ECCE membership is a part of our bargaining agreement.

Leo: Understood. Okay, Evelyn, if you can make a note, and that the next College Council meeting, I will bring it up. Any other questions as it pertains to the list.

Linus Yeh: Could I ask what ECCE is?

Roy Dietz: That is, the El Camino Classified Employees Union.

Dwight Bradley: Leo, I see that they have PM Staff or facilities 2-night Facilities and I do not see anybody for daytime Facilities or anything.

Leo Barrera: That's what the committee was charged with. What I can do is ask the College Council. I can't make the changes on my own, as this committee officially reports to the College Council, but I can take what the recommendations and ask.

Roy Dietz: In the chat I included Article 22. The Committee shall include three Classified Staff Members appointed by ECCE.

Grace Perez: If I may say they are Classified Employees, that does not necessarily mean that they are ECCE Members.

Roy Dietz: Going back to what you were saying, Leo, so you can put whoever you want. As far as membership however, ECCE appoints.

Leo Barrera: In addition to this or with just so, I'm clear in addition.

Roy Dietz: Yes.

Leo Barrera: So, in addition to these. This list must be three ECCE-appointed individuals. Is that what I hear?

Roy Dietz: Yes

Dwight Bradley: Three that are selected are ECCE Members that does not cancel out. You are saying you get three, and then another three.

Roy Dietz: If I choose to use like a P.M. Staff or an A.M. Staff as the representative, then they can serve as both.

Leo Barrera: Then maybe this is going to be the second list that I bring up after this one. I have the names of the folks. Then Roy, once I post the names, you see who's associated with this list. Then perhaps either you and I offline or another time we can go through it. If you want to appoint those folks who are already here as the representatives for ECCE.

Roy Dietz: Yes, send those to me.

Charlene: Okay, so I was saying, I do not see Academic Senate in here.

Leo Barrea: Yes, and it's not in here, but A.M. and P.M. Faculty and them P.M. time Faculty is.

Charlene: Oh, okay, then I would be under A.M. Faculty.

Leo Barrea: You can appoint yourself absolutely. But I think you're in here as the Police Advisory Committee, but you could also be here as A.M. Faculty.

Charlene: Yes.

Leo Barrea: Right as the A.M. Faculty and you can appoint someone as the

faculty, whether it's A.M part time.

Charlene: Okay.

Roy Dietz: Good.

Leo Barrea: I will send out this list of folks as well.

Roy Dietz: When it comes to the faculty that is appointed by the faculty. You mean.

Leo Barrera: Got it understood. Grace, I see your hand.

Grace Perez: Yeah, I was just going to say because the Faculty gets appoint by FT, it is the same things as ECC.

Roy Dietz: That's something we will deal with later on.

Leo Barrera: Right, understood. Okay A.M. Staff Student Service Building, Carlos here. A.M and P.M Student Linus and Dulce, here. Library Representative Kimberly Morrow are you here? Do no think so. Media and Compliance Officer Justin is here, Chair designate Erica Tyler here? No. Director Russell's here, Bookstore representative, Julie is she here, No. Police Advisory Committee, Charlene Police chief for designee. Police Chief Travis risk. Management. It's me police representative appointed by Chief. I believe that's Sergeant Lopez. Marketing and Communications Representative Amy is here. AM Custodian Facilities. Dwight. That's something we can work on. Information Security officer, Louise. He's typically in here. But I don't see him here today. Then Student Health Center Susan. Question on this list. So I will work repective groups ECCE and the Faculty Unio. Regarding the A.M and P.M Faculty. I will work with Roy or Dwight regarding those Facility Staff. I hope is by the next time we come together at that point, then we'll have a solidified list. I will stop share and go back to the original agenda.

Agenda Items

A. Campus Wide Active Shooter Drill (update)

Chief Trevis: The active shooter exercise in the Bookstore is still going to occur as planned. March 5th Marketing and Communication are going to put out a flyer Active Shooter Drill plan for April the 12th. I don't know if any of you saw it, but they did put it out that week. There is a link for people to look at some of the information on this event. I did meet with the Board of Trustee; they were appreciative that we were going to conduct this drill. They did ask for two things, one of which we were already on, and that was to meet with the El Camino Village Residents. I did, and Sergeant Lopez as well. They agreed to pass out 1,500 flyers in El Camino Village. They asked for a favor, though, that on our flyer, if we could put in the back of the flyer their agenda for their El Camino Village. Neighborhood watch meeting is on April 4, 2024 at 7p.m. to 8:30p.m. and I am third on their agenda.

Leo Barrera: Thank you, Chief. I appreciate that. I know this was a little time in the making, so seeing it come to fruition is nice.

Chief Trevis: If there was a way we could record that event, and I know a couple of members of this body recommended the same thing. So, I'll be working with MarCom to see if we can record this exercise so that others can see it later on.

Leo Barrera: Thank you. Chief.

Kerri Webb: Leo, I have a question for the Chief. Chief, if we were to record this drill, where would it live?

Chief Trevis: If it is recorded, it's a public document. I would say that it would live on our web page on the campus police webpage. It should go to the webpage with the emergency drill information.

Kerri Webb: Do we really want our drill to be there?

Chief Trevis: People are going to see it. In today's environment you know it is to a public interest.

Kerri Webb: Okay.

Leo Barrera: Other comments or questions?

Grace Perez: I have a general question, so on the committees' tasks, are they responsible for disseminating information.

Grace Perez: Emergency matters or Safety matters, so the incident that happened, the murder that happened on Christmas Eve Day it is still very much a hot topic and concern for Students and Staff. There was a long delay before Marketing and Communications felt it necessary to share this information. If this Committee is tasked with disseminating information, why are we relying on Marketing? This is I would think that it would be more proper for this Committee to put out an immediate response with the Campus PD.

Leo Barrera: So are you referring to the incident in December, or the active shooter drill?

Grace Perez: Everything. Students are every shaken. I mean, it's in the newspaper. There's you know, they're coming back on campus. They're very worried. They did not know that they had to learn from the media.

Leo Barrea: What I'll oppose Grace is, if that's separate from what's on the agenda item here, we can add that to the agenda for our next meeting, and then we can discuss it.

Grace Perez: That will be great. Thank you.

Leo Barrera: I saw Linus' hand.

Linus Yeh: Hi, well kind like what Grace said about if we can put this item on the agenda about how we are going to address like something that happens like this again, about the incident in December who's going to communicate. How fast is it going to be communicated, and all that for next. For next meeting or something, I would appreciate it. Thank you. A, as you know, we represent the Asl we represent the students. And this is something that we need to address. How, what are going to be the measures or how we're going to emergency communications.

Leo Barrera: Understood. Thank you. So, Evelyn, again, just make a note to add that for our next agenda other questions related to active shooter drill update. hearing, saying, none, thank you, chief. I appreciate it. Be non-student on how showering in the locker rooms.

B. Non-student unhoused showering in the locker rooms

Dr. Russell Serr: It's just ongoing. There are not a whole lot of complaints. There's always a few that trickle in. But you know there is no need to call Campus Police and they are regulars. There's some regulars that use the showers on a regular basis and kind of they wash their clothes. They kind of use it as a home base. There haven't been a lot of safety issues. It's just kind of uncomfortable for some students going in there with some individuals that have big bags of stuff. They are washing their clothes, etc. It is not a big deal, I do not think it is a safety issue.

Leo Barrera: Thank you, Dr. Serr. Grace. I see your hand.

Grace Perez: I am glad there have not been any issues, Dr. Serr. But I do have a concern, and we don't need to have. I don't think it's necessary for us to have reports of safety, because the individual that murdered that lady on campus had multiple incidents with Campus PD. Why are we allowing this? Why are we setting ourselves up for possibly another attack. I mean if they are not students, they should not be allowed. I'm sorry I'm sensitive to people's plight and the unhoused but I do not think that we should open our campus up to everybody.

Dr. Serr: We've been going around with this for years, and we haven't found a way where we can enforce keeping people out of the locker rooms. A lot of students that are unhoused get student IDs and never take classes. How are we going to? Who's going to police it who, you know, we don't have the I don't think Campus Police has the resources to sit somebody at the locker rooms, and neither does all science and athletics. We have been discussing this for years, believe me, and it is a concern.

But how are we going to police it. What do we make a board policy? Do other schools? It's all over the board. But most just post the hours, and you know they do not have not see anybody that denies access. Put it that way. So yes, it is a

touchy situation. We discuss it numerous times. How to enforce keeping unknown students out of the locker room is a big can. It has got a lot of little intricacies with it. So I hear your concern. I'm concerned, too. What is the solution? That's our? That's our problem.

Grace Perez: Thank you, Dr. Serr

Leo Barrera: Other question feedback for Dr. Serr.

Dr. Serr: If you just want to keep me as an agenda item, that'd be great. And I can continue to give updates.

Leo Barrea: Understood. We will keep it as a standing item.

C. TRI Chair recommendations/nomination

Leo Barrera: Item C. TRI Chair recommendations. Nomination, so as we see Chief Travis move towards his retirement all the years. He was here, greatly appreciative of all that he's done, and looking forward to this committee. Right now it's a 2 chair dual chair model wanting to move to a tri chair. Recommendations. Nominations. Chief I know that you were the other Chair along with me and with that in mind you have any recommendations conversations. I at least wanted to broach this here. As we begin to talk about this prior to your retirement.

Chief Travis: I do not have any recommendation in particular for the Tri-Chair model you know. In terms of a recommendation for my particular role in this. You know I would recommend whoever the next acting Chief is interim chief, and follow through with whoever the permanent chief is down the road.

But in terms of the TRI Chair model I do not have really any recommendations at this particular point.

Leo Barrea: Okay, I want to at least put this on as a item to discuss. We don't have to make a decision today. I'm not looking for a vote, but I at least wanted to put this out there as we see. Chief, I believe your last day is June or July. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chief Travis: My last working day. Here is June the 28. That's a Friday.

Leo Barrera: June 28, okay.

Chief Travis: Technically, retirement date is July first, you know, I got the weekend.

Leo Barrera: move forward towards that, we have a couple of meetings between now and then, so something to think about. So I'll leave this on here, and then we can continue to discuss it. And if folks within this committee have thoughts, recommendations, nominations, we can bring it back. But I at least wanted to put

this out there so that we know looking ahead, we're going need some other folks to try and share this committee. Dwight, I see you hand.

Dwight Bradley: Yes, what are the requirements, I guess, for being a chair on the position. I'm in agreement with Chief Travis first off. Congratulations on your retirement, making it to that point is great, so I hope you enjoy it. Hope you get as many years in retirement as you had working. So enjoy. If you find any good fishing splasher. But what are the requirements for being Chairperson. I guess me being new to the committee. I like to know? Like, you know, what would it take to be someone? So, we know anybody that could be nominated or should be nominated, or, you know, we would like to nominate anybody like what are the requirements to be in that position?

Leo Barrea: Official requirements, it would be a final determination by College Council. Right? So I take whatever nominations are here. Recommendations go to College Council as far as logistical. Obviously it's attending the meetings, working with me on agenda minutes anything I need to do offline meeting, following up with folks constituent groups anything like that. The level of responsibility which give or take because we meet monthly just depending on how heavy the agendas can take two to four hours or less outside of what we do here, following up, meeting with folks getting things done other than that. It is not really a requirement just has to be approved by College Council.

Dwight Bradley: Sounds like an additional four to six hours maybe a month, added along to with to like whatever the meeting time is. So if this is an hour, maybe another four hours in between, of like just communicating and work.

Leo Barrea: Yes, I would say, that's fair. And as we've moved through this now for more than a year and a half, just about obviously, the agendas gotten longer more in depth. So yeah, I would say more or less, that just depending on how the agenda is and things I need to get done. Other questions regarding recommendations or nominations. I'm not looking for one here, just broaching the conversation, at least.

Grace Perez: I think the guidelines on College Council and in the can not think of it. The plan. Whis is that? Our plan? Strateic plan, there is certainly guidelines on there.

Leo Barrea: Yes, absolutely. They have to go through College Council. College council is the one who makes the final approval. So we sent forward the nomination recommendation. But absolutely, it is going to be college council and their guidelines requirement for a final approval.

Other question? Moving to Sink Holes.

D. Sink holes (surrounding ECC)

Leo Barrera: Sink hole surrounding ECC, this has been a standing item for some time. County has not followed up with me. I have contacted them numerous times, and they have not followed up interestingly, though, we had another issue with some water protruding into Lot F at the back of campus, and I was able to get in contact with them within probably 48 h, which is interesting to me, and we got that solved, and Lot F. But they have not contacted me for the sinkhole, so I will follow up again, even with the folks that I contacted, and they reached out to me regarding some of the water protrusion and Lot F, because they were very reactive. Although it's a separate part of the county, maybe they can at least point me in the right direction. I don't see them getting worse, but it is something that's been brought to my attention. I definitely do not want to let it fall off. Of this agenda question, comments, thoughts on that.

Dwight Bradley: You said you got into someone from the county. It wasn't the City of Torres.

Leo Barrera: No, that was the county when we're back there, Dwight, for a lot of.

Dwight Bradley: I didn't know if you need to get in touch with the city of Torrence. I was looking through cards of people that I've met since I've been here, and I had a couple of contacts here. The City of Torrence that worked with before on the painting on Crenshaw. So now no worries.

Leo Barrea: Yes, it's got to be it. Where they're located at is specifically county. I know we kind of sit in that place where some of our areas, county and city. But that specific area is county. Thank you. Any other thoughts, comments, questions on sinkhole surrounding ECC.

E. BTC Patrol (safety)

Leo Barrea: The BTC Patrol safety. So this is back to the cameras. There was a motion last time to move forward. With the approval from this committee recommendation for the cameras to college council. I was waiting on it to go out there and take a look. I saw Claudio about a week ago. He still had not had the opportunity to go to the Btc. Something to do with access timing, getting off campus so as of right now, that's the final piece. I need to know what that cost is going to be for the installation, if any. Claudio and it and those folks need to make that determination if it can be done in house with their staff, or if we need to come up with a bid, or depending on the cost, or get a vendor to come out here and do that work. I have the invoice, or rather the quote, for the cameras that is ready to go, so I will follow up again with Claudio. But it really is an issue, I think, of just timing and him getting off campus to go to the BTC. Question? Seeing none moving F Campus Lockers.

F. Campus Lockers (update)

Leo Barrera: Campus Lockers, I think. I believe this was last meeting we had discussed potentially removing the lockers. And if I'm not mistaken, Dwight. Correct me. If I'm wrong, we're going to do some homework on locker removal logistics, something along those lines.

Dwight Bradley: I have not done it. Let me write it down so I can get on it. Today. I'll have an answer for you today, though Leo.

Leo Barrera: Yes, that's fine. I I don't think it's a huge concern, but I do think we want to do something with these lockers sooner rather than later. And Julie ideally, it sounds like she's not in this in the room today, but I remember last time it sounds like she wants to get these off campus as soon as possible, and if we can make it happen we can do a motion for this and get them off campus.

Dwight Bradley: I will look into it that would be nice.

Leo Barrera: I appreciate it. Thank you, Dwight. Moving forward Students requesting overnight parking Linus, I believe this is yours

G. Unhoused students requesting overnight parking

Linus Yeh: Yes, So we're supposed to have. We originally plan to have a meeting with Long Beach City College, who who already set up a safe parking program last year. But then the person who is coordinating the program couldn't make it yesterday. Yes, we're hoping. Have a meeting with them next week to ask them some questions about logistics, safety, and funding. I guess along that note we change it to fit more, there to align. Change the name of this item to line with your program. So it'd be the safe parking program for unhouse students.

Leo Barrea: Safe parking program for unhouses students. Okay, Evelyn, if you can make note of that. Thank you. And then we'll keep it as an item on here and bring it back next time. Is that fair Linus.

Linus Yeh: Yes, Safe Parking Program for Un-house Students.

H. Emergency evacuation drill (BTC & Fire Academy) 4-5-2024

Leo Barrera: Emergency evacuation drill with the BTC. And Fire Academy. So this is something that risk management is taking lead on. We do 2 evacuation drills a year. The big one, everyone knows, is the great shake out in October, and then this is the smaller one. So we go around on campus and we pick a couple of buildings, and we build up our skill efficacy get everybody ready for the larger one. So this time around, we chose the BTC. And the Fire Academy. We posted flyers last week. Everyone there has been notified. They know of the day we have been working with it. PD. Has been gracious enough to work with us on that day to do the actual

inform cast broadcast. That'll go to those specific campuses. Only we decided not to disseminate information to the entire campus. We're a marketing campaign, because we believe there would be confusing. Some folks don't even know what the BTC. And Fire Academy is let alone know that it's off campus and sending a mass email campaign to everyone on campus about an evacuation drill may cause more confusion than what it's worth for this small moderate size, evacuation drill. So that's on April fifth in the morning at 10 Am. Should take about 45 min no longer than an hour, and that's something that my folks in risk management have been working on. Evelyn, Valerie, Greg and Justin greatly appreciate you all, and they've been doing a lot of work and getting this up and running, and then also with the PD. And with it. We're getting the informed cast and everything there. Questions or comments?

I. Mask (non-N-95) on campus

Leo Barrera: N.95 on Campus, Susan, I believe this is yours.

Susan Nilles: Nope.

Leo Barrera: No, okay. So there was a request for N. 95 mask on Campus received an email asking about non N. 95 mask on campus. So for Osha, we're required to provide end 95 mask on campus, but not the mask. That are the paper mass. So there's been some requests. So this is an item on the agenda looking for any comments questions regarding that we have to provide the N.95. But I hear that they are uncomfortable. They are too much for everyday use, but those are what we have, and those are what we provide.

Dietz: Leo is. Oh, she's just saying the N. 95 mask, or they're just saying for face mask in general.

Leo Barrera: N.95 when it comes to when we're talking about anything related to Covid. Now, if we're talking about like other style, PPE, obviously, then it changes. But when we are looking at specifically what we need to provide for OSHA for COVID when it comes to the PPE.

Diezt: Did that just change recently?

Leo Barrera: believe, January, because we had to update our PPE. It is no longer coming from the Department of Health, where it was coming from previously with regards to anything COVID related. So now they are wrapping it into OSHA, and we are OSHA is wrapping it into PPE, and for those PPE is the engineering analyst and prevention plan. So, with that, is there any questions about what we provide here on campus? We do provide the mask. We have plenty of them, and N. 95 for folks that want the other kind of paper mass we do not have, and we do not provide those anymore. Then any other PPE as needed as required. We have Valerie on

campus who works on getting all that PPE for facility staff, anything regarding specialized type of equipment needed for PPE. Question, comments? Okay, then, I am going to remove this from here.

J. Safety Poster (draft)

Leo Barrera: Safety poster. This was the safety poster that I shared last time. I'm not going to share it again, because I shared it already. I'm going to table this one, because there's a couple of things that I'm specifically waiting for moving ahead, working with marketing, with some dissemination of information regarding emergency notifications. I won't say more, but this is going to be in partner and collaboration, and trying to move this along at the same time as some other moving parts that are happening with marketing and the Pd. But this safety poster is draft just about ready to go, and this is going to be along the same time as some other items come out with marketing and Police Department. Questions, comments?

Leo Barrera: Okay moving on to Working Groups and COVID-19 Subcommittee.

- Susan Nilles: Nothing new at this time, just a reminder that it is still all communal college policy to report positives to the all communal covid notification line and or email. You'll get contacted within a couple of days or not within a couple of days. Business day, you know, depending on when you call it in and all we do is provide guidance at that time and make sure we're doing the right thing so that everyone doesn't get sick with Covid. So pretty, simple, and straightforward. Also a reminder that the State of California is more lax than the Cdc guidelines at this time all of our protocols have been updated to reflect that if you have any questions feel free to reach out no problem. Thank you.
- Leo Barrea: Thank you, Susan, any comments or questions for Susan.
- Grace Perez: I have a question for Susan. Susan, we have a couple of cases of COVID-19 test. Are we supposed to hand them out to students, or are they only for student workers?
- Susan Nilles: They are free for everybody on the Ecc campus, and if you need more, feel free to swing by. Happy to give you any.
- Grace Perez: Thank you so much.
- Susan Nilles: No problem.
- Leo Barrea: Thank you Grace. Thank you, Susan. Other questions regarding COVID-19 Subcommittee. Okay, hearing, saying none. Police Relations and Campus Safety Committee.
- Charlene: Our next encounter is in October. We're going to do it in the second week in October. So, we will start planning. We first met last week.

So meant activity with the students. We'll have it in October, so that is where we are now.

- Leo Barrera: Okay, it sounded like you're planning the annual event in October. I will put it in our minutes.
- Charlene: Yes.
- Leo Barrera: Perfect, other comments, questions, thoughts, feedback for the good of the order. Hearing, saying done, going to stop the recording.