HONORS TRANSFER PROGRAM
To maintain the health of our community and to prevent the spread of Covid-19, the Honors Transfer Program will deliver HTP workshops and counseling appointments online via Zoom.
To schedule a counseling appointment with Paitzar Giourdjian, the HTP counselor click here
To chat with someone in our office, Monday - Thursday 10am - 12 noon, 2pm-4pm click here
To leave a voice message for someone to call you back, call (562) 281-7692.
The Honors Transfer Program (HTP) at El Camino College is designed to better prepare the highly motivated student to transfer successfully to a university and complete a Bachelor’s degree.
The HTP provides a unique learning environment that stresses academic excellence and develops the awareness necessary to achieve this goal. The major objective of the program is to prepare students to transfer by focusing on advanced reading, writing, critical thinking, and study skills. Honors courses are academically enriched to stimulate students intellectually, encourage independent critical thinking, and promote close interaction between students and faculty.
Honors courses fit into requirements of various associate degrees, as well as requirements needed to transfer to the University of California, California State University, and most other universities. Generally, students in the HTP complete the same number of courses as other students planning to transfer.
High School Students
The Honors Transfer Program (HTP) will be accepting applications again from May 11-July 30 for students who want to begin the program in Summer/Fall 2020. This is our non-priority application period, which simply means that students who submit their HTP application during May 11- July 30th will not receive priority registration for Summer/ Fall 2020. However, they will be able to take advantage of all other HTP benefits and services as soon as they apply and are accepted. Submitting a non-priority application does not decrease a student's chances of being admitted into HTP.
If you plan to apply during this period and you have a registration date that occurs before that, we strongly recommend that you register for an honors class for Fall 2020. Anyone can register for an honors class, and everyone who is in the class receives honors credit. If you do that, you will be in a great position to meet your honors class requirement in Fall 2020.
- You must have an El Camino College Student ID number to begin the process.
- You should have a minimum 3.1 cumulative unweighted GPA. We will accept your application even if your GPA is below a 3.1 at the time that you apply.
- Upload your final transcript in June. At this time, if your cumulative unweighted GPA is below 3.1, your application will not be approved for acceptance into the program. You will be able to reapply during the fall semester.
Priority Application for Current High School Students
(Feb. 1-Apr. 23)
Current ECC Students
The Honors Transfer Program (HTP) will be accepting applications again from May 11-July 30 for students who want to begin the program in Summer/Fall 2020. This is our non-priority application period, which simply means that students who submit their HTP application during May 11- July 30th will not receive priority registration for Summer/ Fall 2020.
Please note that current ECC students who apply and are accepted to the HTP during this period will be able to take advantage of all other HTP benefits and services as soon as they apply and are accepted. Submitting a non-priority application does not decrease a student's chances of being admitted into HTP. eligible for priority registration through the Honors Transfer Program.
If you are a current ECC student and do not yet have 9 transferable units completed with a cumulative transferable GPA of 3.1 or above, you need to wait until your Spring 2020 grades post to apply. If your cumulative transferable GPA is 3.1 or above and you have a minimum of 9 transferable units completed. Please apply using your most current unofficial transcript.
Priority Application for Current ECC Students (April 1-April 23)
*IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL APPLICANTS: Students who are new to ECC will have to complete three crucial steps to be eligible for the Honors Transfer Program. The steps are:
- An ECC application
- An ECC orientation (either online or in person)
- An education plan (EdPlan) with an ECC counselor
You must read the HTP handbook to answer the open book test in the online application. Click the link to view/print the HTP Handbook.
Top 10 Reasons to Become a Member of the Honors Transfer Program:
- Priority admission consideration for universities
- Priority registration for ECC classes
- Smaller class size with excellent, committed professors
- Increased interaction with transfer counselors
- Informative workshops designed to help you succeed at ECC and when you transfer
- UCLA application “alternate major” option—increase your chances of being accepted to UCLA!
- Permanent notation of honors participation on ECC transcript
- Close academic and social interaction with other highly motivated honors students—build a network of peers with similar goals.
- Increased chances of receiving scholarships and internships.
- Special opportunities to conduct and present undergraduate research—stand out on your application!
Honors Transfer Program
c/o Natural Sciences Division
16007 Crenshaw Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90506
Phone: (310) 660-3815
How to Find Us
The HTP office is located in the Student Services Building, Room 228.
Monday - Thursday, 10am - 12 noon, 2pm - 4pm
Closed on Fridays