South Bay Promise
College is expensive. We want to help! The South Bay Promise offers an affordable pathway directly from high school to college. Enrollment fees for the first and second year will be paid for full-time students and additional services and counseling will be offered to students enrolled in the South Bay Promise.
The South Bay Promise is available to all first-time, full-time college students (regardless of school district) who complete the steps below and attend El Camino College the fall after their senior year.
The application for the Fall 2020 South Bay Promise is now available! Please click the button below to start your application.
Note: you must have completed the El Camino College Application for Admission before completing the South Bay Promise application so that you can include your El Camino College Student ID number.
Steps for Eligibility
You must complete steps 1-6 by the April 30, 2020 priority deadline to receive a conditional acceptance letter from the South Bay Promise. Students who submit applications and complete steps beyond April 30 will not be eligible for priority registration for the fall semester. You must also participate in a South Bay Promise Eligible Student Support Program (list below).
- Apply for Admission for Fall 2020.
- Complete and submit a South Bay Promise Application.
- All students are required to submit a 2020-2021 FAFSA or California Dream Act application regardless of income.
- Complete the English and Mathematics Placement Survey in MyECC. This will be available once you apply for Fall 2020 Admissions and receive your El Camino Student ID number.
- Complete the New Student Orientation.
- Meet with an El Camino Counselor to create an Educational Plan.
- Connect with an approved South Bay Promise Student Support & Success Program (requirements and application deadlines vary). See below for a list of approved South Bay Promise Programs.
- Register for a minimum of 12 units for both Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. (If
you are registered with the Special Resource Center on campus and have been approved,
then you are only required to take 9 units for both Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters)
Need help completing eligibility steps? We can help! Outreach services such as New Student Orientation, Information Sessions, and an Open Forum for enrollment questions are now available online through Zoom. Please visit the Outreach Upcoming Events webpage for details and to sign up!
What are the benefits for me?
- Enrollment fees paid for the first year (up to 30 units).
- Priority registration your first semester.
- Access to English and math courses in your first year.
- Participation in a Student Support & Success Program.
- Personalized Support & Success Program orientations.
- Borrow a Surface Go Laptop via Laptop Loan thanks to our Foundation.
List of South Bay Promise approved Support & Success Programs
Please check with each program for application, eligibility, and upcoming information sessions.Get a head start and reach out to these programs by clicking the blue links!