HIGH TECH CENTER
We hope you and your family are in good health and spirits. We want you to assure you the High Tech Center is open “virtually” and is working remotely to provide you with technical support and training. We are currently available for virtual drop-ins and appointments.
Schedule a virtual appointment, drop-in, or workshop by clicking on the options below:
Drop-In Registration Support
Pease use Chrome or Firefox as your web browser to access the services below. You can access the Drop-In or Tech Talk by clicking on the designated buttons below.
Questions? Contact us:
Additional resources for you:
Visit our El Camino College (DSPS) Facebook Page
Visit the SRC’s Educational Tools webpage
We hope to see you in the “virtual world.”
Brian, Ajee & Rogelio
The High Tech Center for the disabled opened in 1987 with state funding from the California Community College Foundation and the State Department of Rehabilitation. The first grant purchased four computers; the Center is now an integrated lab providing lab experience for a variety of Educational Development courses, individualize training of assistive technologies, open stations for continual skill improvement and technical support for diverse needs in the academic labs across campus.
To make computers and alternate formats of academic information accessible to students, regardless of disability To provide training to effective alternatives to traditional study methods (ex: individualize training on specific assistive technologies, integration of student skills and technology access, computer assisted instruction.)
ACCESSING THE HIGH TECH CENTER (HTC)
1. Course participation: EDEV courses that include a lab component can utilize the HTC for additional skill reinforcement. For EDEV 140 & 41, students are required to schedule time with their instructor.
2. Individualize referral for training and/or use: After students in EDEV 140/41 are scheduled, the rest of the time is available for individual students that have been referred by a counselor or specialist for specific use or training.
DESCRIPTION OF EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT 140/41
Courses are taught and lab time is made available to disabled students participating in the Special Resource Center Program.
After verification of participation in the Special Resource Center, to use the HTC please complete at least one of the following forms with counselor or specialist:
1. SURF individualize form for specific need.
2. EDEV 140/41 Individualize Plan for course credit
3. Assistive Technology on-campus Need form
LIST AND DESCRIPTION OF ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY
1. VOICE - Train the computer to recognize your voice.
2. DESENSITIZED KEYBOARD - For a person with limited dexterity.
3. SINGLE SWITCH INPUT - Bypass the keyboard and control the entire computer through the use of a single switch.
1. ENLARGED PRINT - To the screen or the printer.
2. BRAILLE - Print to Braille or Braille to print.
3. VOICE OUTPUT - The computer will actually give a verbal output of what appears on the screen.