El Camino College Onizuka Space Science Day 2017
Saturday, March 11, 2017
Serious-minded science students in grades five through 12 are invited to attend Onizuka Space Science Day 2017 at El Camino College! Students are also invited to enter the Onizuka Space Science Day Arts Contest. Entries are due February 28, 2017; see details below.
The Ellison S. Onizuka Memorial Committee, El Camino College, and American Honda Motor Co., Inc. sponsor this free, hands-on conference. This year marks the 31st anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger accident that took the lives of the seven crew members, including Ellison Onizuka.
This year's featured NASA Astronaut is Dr. Kjell N. Lindgren, who has logged 141 days in space aboard the International Space Station along with 15 hours and four minutes of spacewalk time.
Onizuka Space Science Day 2017 features:
- Astronaut presentation
- Classroom presentations & demonstrations led by ECC professors, students, and guests from JPL and other institutions
- Hands-on science activities & experiments
- Free lunch for the first 900 students
- Egg Drop Competition!
Sponsored by El Camino College & American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
ONIZUKA SPACE SCIENCE DAY ARTS CONTEST
Deadline: February 28, 2017 ~ 10 p.m.
South Bay students in grades five through 12 are invited to enter El Camino College's Onizuka Space Science Day Arts Contest. The contest winner will receive an invitation to bring three guests to meet and attend the Space Science Day dinner with Astronaut Kjell N. Lindgren on Friday, March 10.
Students are asked to create original artwork inspired by the theme:
"Heroes of the Space Program"
Accepted forms of artwork include: drawing, painting, printmaking, computer-generated image, photograph or photographic collage. Art must be original – reproductions of other artwork are not accepted.
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the theme may be submitted
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only
- Student should give the artwork a unique title
- Include with the entry: the student's name, age, home address, phone number, parent/guardian email, grade in school, teacher's name, and school currently attending
Please submit a digital photo or scan of the artwork as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Robin Dreizler c/o Space Science Day, 16007 Crenshaw Blvd. Torrance, CA 90506. The deadline to receive artwork is Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 10:00 p.m.
All entries become the property of El Camino College and may be reproduced in print form, along with the identity of the winner, in our Space Science Day Event or Dinner Program.