El Camino College Onizuka Space Science Day 2016
Saturday, March 5, 2016
On behalf of the Ellison S. Onizuka Memorial Committee, El Camino College, and American Honda Motor Co., Inc., you are cordially invited to participate in Space Science Day 2016 at El Camino College on Saturday, March 5. This year marks the 30th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger accident that took the lives of the seven crew members, including Ellison Onizuka.
This year’s featured NASA Astronaut is Capt. Sunita Williams, who has spent a total of 322 days in space and holds the record for total spacewalk time by a female astronaut.
Serious-minded science students in grades five through 12 are invited to attend this free, hands-on conference.
- Astronaut presentation
- Classroom presentations & demonstrations led by ECC professors, students, and guests from JPL and other institutions
- Hands-on science activities & experiments
- Egg Drop Competition!
Sponsored by El Camino College & American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
ONIZUKA SPACE SCIENCE DAY ARTS CONTEST
Deadline: February 23, 2016 ~ 10 p.m.
South Bay students in grades five through 12 are invited to enter El Camino College’s Onizuka Space Science Day Arts Contest. The contest winner will receive an invitation to bring three guests to meet and attend the Space Science Day dinner with NASA astronaut Sunita Williams.
Students are asked to create original artwork inspired by the theme:
“How Can Space Travel Make Our Lives Better?”
Accepted forms of artwork include: drawing, painting, printmaking, computer-generated image, photograph or photographic collage. Art must be original – reproductions of other artwork are not accepted.
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the theme may be submitted
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only
- Student should give the artwork a unique title
- Include with the entry: the student’s name, age, home address, phone number, parent email, grade in school, teacher’s name, and school they are currently attending
Please submit a digital photo or scan of the artwork as an attachment to email@example.com, or mail to Robin Dreizler c/o Space Science Day Arts Contest, 16007 Crenshaw Blvd., Torrance, CA 90506. The deadline to receive artwork is Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 10:00 p.m.
All entries become the property of El Camino College and may be reproduced in print form, along with the identity of the winner, in our Space Science Day Event or Dinner Program.