GUARDIAN SCHOLARS PROGRAM
Guardian Scholars Program is committed to supporting ALL current and former foster
youth students at El Camino College. The Guardian Scholars Program serves as the primary
contact for current and former foster youth to access on-campus resources across different
departments throughout the campus. The Guardian Scholars Program assists with retention
of students by providing a support group and facilitating access to services on campus.
We serve as a resource by assisting in the development and equipping students’ educational
and interpersonal skills necessary to become self-supporting, community leaders, role
models, and competent professionals in their selected fields.
The Guardian Scholars Program provides the opportunity to change individual lives and make dreams come true.
PROGRAM SUPPORT SERVICES
- Academic Advising- Assistance with Priority Registration
- Educational and Community Enrichment Activities
- Program Referrals- Financial Aid Referrals
- Tutoring Referrals
- Computer Lab
- Book Grant (if applicable)
In order to qualify for the Guardian Scholars Program at El Camino College, students
must complete the following steps:
1. Apply for admission to El Camino College
2. Complete an online or in-person orientation
3. Take the assessment tests in English and mathematics
4. Meet with an academic counselor to develop an educational plan
5. Submit a Guardian Scholars Program application
1. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act
Application (CADAA) in order to apply for federal and state-based financial aid.
2. Complete the Chafee Grant application documentation with the assistance of the
Financial Aid Office.
Requirements to Maintain Eligibility:
To remain eligible for the program the recipient must:
1. Enroll in at least six units at El Camino College during fall and spring semester
2. Enroll in at least three units at El Camino College during winter and summer
3. Attend the Guardian Scholars Program events each semester
4. Meet with Guardian Scholars Program personnel at least once a week
5. Submit progress report each semester or term
6. Maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA)
7. Maintain a 50% pace of unit completion