IMMIGRANT STUDENT SUCCESS - Undocumented & Immigrant Student Support

A snapshot of services and resources readily available to undocumented students and students impacted by their immigration status at El Camino College

Undocumented students and students impacted by your immigration status aiming to pursue a college education, we'll help you understand how to access and request financial aid at El Camino College, locate scholarships, university grants and outside resources. Dream on!

Schedule a Counseling Appointment

Immigrant Student Success Counselors can help with your educational plan, the transfer process to a four year university,  financial aid and AB 540 affidavits. Have additional questions? Email: or Call 424-242-5867.

Book Counseling Appointment

What is AB 540?

AB 540 is a law that provides in-state tuition benefits for undocumented and out-of-state students who attend or will attend a public university in California. 

Under California law AB 540, certain nonresident students are exempt from paying nonresident supplemental tuition. If you're granted an AB 540 exemption, you will be charged in-state tuition and fees and not the supplemental tuition charged to nonresidents.

Resident (In-State) Tuition:
(applies to AB 540 eligible students) 
$46 per unit

Non-Resident (Out-of-State) Tuition
$331 per unit

No-Cost Immigration Legal Services

El Camino College, in collaboration with Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights (CHIRLA), is proud to announce no-cost legal services available to students, staff and faculty.

Book an appointment to meet with CHIRLA legal services online. After scheduling an appointment, an attorney from CHIRLA will contact you at the scheduled time for a full consultation. 

If you cannot find an open appointment or have a family member who would like a free consultation, you can also call 213-201-3797.

Book Legal Services Appointment

Students (including undocumented students) who, for various reasons, are classified as nonresidents may be eligible.

To qualify for AB 540 status, students must also meet the following eligibility requirements: 

  1. Student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years
  2. Student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent (GED or CA HS Proficiency exam)
  3. Student must be enrolled in an accredited California institution of higher education
  4. Student must file an AB 540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form  that includes an affidavit stating they have filed (or will file) an application to legalize as soon as they are able to do so. Completed forms must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office located in the Student Services building
  5. Submit a copy of your high school diploma and sealed high school transcripts to the El Camino College Admissions office for verification.

SB 68 expands AB 540 to enable students to count years spent at a California Community College and adult school toward AB 540 eligibility. Additionally, the bill will allow the completion of an associate degree or satisfaction of the minimum requirements to transfer to the University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) to meet the degree or unit requirements. These new eligibility criteria expand possibilities for students educated in California to qualify for in-state tuition and state-based financial aid at CCCs, CSUs, and UCs.

If you previously were not eligible for AB 540 status, you may be eligible with the expansion to AB 540 with SB 68. Please check with the ECC Admissions Office for details.


If you meet the AB 540 eligibility requirements, you may be eligible to receive state-based financial aid as well as scholarships.

It is important to complete the California Dream Act Application every year before March 2 to be considered for a California Promise Grant (which pays for the cost of tuition) as well as Cal Grants (additional cash state aid).

For additional information, visit Financial Aid.


Complete the following steps if you think you meet AB 540 eligibility. If you are not sure, you can use this tool to help you see if you may be eligible to pay in-state tuition. Please note that the Admissions Office makes all final decisions regarding eligibility.

Print AB 540 Checklist


Complete and sign this form to request exemption from nonresident tuition charged to nonresident students.

Once determined to be eligible, you will continue to receive the exemption as long as you fulfill eligibility requirements or until the college or university no longer offers this exemption.  

Applying for this exemption does not alter your responsibility to pay, by the campus deadline, any nonresident tuition and associated fees that may be due before your eligibility is determined.

This form should be used instead of residency reclassification if you are undocumented or a U.S. citizen and meet the requirements. This exemption cannot be used if you are not living in California.  

Submit AB 540 Form


Undocumented Young People, Stand Up!

Undocumented young people: You have the right to go to college in California! Learn more.

Stay Updated

More information about AB 540 status at El Camino College can be found on the AB 540 Student Information flyer.

The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office has also developed a web page containing resources and information related to DACA/undocumented students.

To receive email notifications about events, sign up for alerts. 

Connect with Immigrant Student Success Team


Josefina Cruz Molina
Immigrant Student Success Coordinator

Dennis Funes
Immigrant Student Success Counselor

Christopher Yik
Immigrant Student Success Counselor

Arlin Gonzalez
Immigrant Student Success Counselor 

Luiz Shon 
Immigrant Student Success Counselor

Jazlyn Landaverde
Graduate Intern