HTP Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about the Honors Transfer Program (HTP) with these frequently asked questions.


Incoming high school students are required to have a minimum cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.1 or higher before applying to the program. Current ECC students must have a cumulative transferable GPA of 3.1 or higher and nine transferrable units completed at ECC before applying to the program. Current ECC students must have at least two semesters left before transferring.

Learn more about the application process.


There are two application windows per year (in October and April) that will ensure priority registration for the subsequent session/semester.

Learn more about the application process.


You are allowed to apply ONE honors course from another college for El Camino College HTP credit.


To schedule a counseling appointment with an HTP counselor, please call 310-660-3815. We schedule counseling appointments every Monday starting at 9:00am.


You must take one honors course per semester for a total of five. Summer/Winter session honors courses are optional and do count toward the five-course requirement.  


You will be suspended from the Honors Transfer Program for not enrolling in an honors course. You are not required to take an honors course during Summer/Winter sessions.


You will be suspended from the Honors Transfer Program for the following reasons:

  1. You are not currently enrolled in an honors course.
  2. You have not attended a workshop during the semester.
  3. Your transferrable GPA drops below 3.1.
  4. You have violated HTP's Academic Integrity policy.

If you are suspended from the HTP, you may request to be reinstated by submitting a Reinstatement Form. You are only allowed to request reinstatement twice. Reinstatement requests are not always granted. Reinstatement Forms must be submitted by the end of Week 3 each semester. 


An honors course is eligible for "rollover" in two different ways:

  1. 1) Take an honors course in Summer/Winter session for an upcoming Fall/Spring semester's requirement
  2. 2) Take more than one honors course during any semester to use for an upcoming Fall/Spring semester's requirement

Sometimes, a student's schedule may prevent enrollment in an honors course. Therefore, a student is able to "roll over" an honors course for a future semester. Rollover courses are not retroactive. A student cannot roll over a course to fulfill the requirement for a previous semester. 

There is no limit to the number of honors courses a student can roll over. However, rollling over a course requires student planning to ensure the following semester's honors course requirement is fulfilled. Rollover Forms must be submitted by the end of Week 3 each semester. 


High school seniors are eligible to apply to the Honors Transfer Program.


  1. You must have an El Camino College Student ID number to begin the process. 
  2. You should have a minimum 3.1 cumulative unweighted GPA. We will accept your application even if your GPA is below a 3.1 at the time that you apply. 
  3. Upload your final transcript in June. At this time, if your cumulative unweighted GPA is below 3.1, your application will not be approved for acceptance into the program. You will be able to reapply during the Fall semester.

Learn more about the application process.


Top 10 Reasons to Join the Honors Transfer Program:

  1. Priority admission consideration for universities
  2. Priority registration for ECC classes
  3. Smaller class size with excellent, committed professors
  4. Increased interaction with transfer counselors
  5. Informative workshops designed to help you succeed at ECC and when you transfer
  6. UCLA application “alternate major” option—increase your chances of being accepted to UCLA!
  7. Permanent notation of honors participation on ECC transcript
  8. Close academic and social interaction with other highly motivated honors students—build a network of peers with similar goals
  9. Increased chances of receiving scholarships and internships
  10. Special opportunities to conduct and present undergraduate research—stand out on your application!


Students planning to transfer upon graduating must submit an Intent to Transfer Form through the HTP. This form ensures all program requirements are met and students are eligible for completion. Important: For students applying to UCLA and/or UC Irvine, this form is required to ensure consideration for TAP (UCLA) and/or H2H (UC Irvine) honors transfer benefits. The Intent to Transfer Form must be submitted at the end of Fall semester (December).


Students who have completed all program requirements must submit a Completion Form in order to 1) Receive a permanent ECC transcript notation, 2) Receive an invitation to the HTP Completion Ceremony, and 3) Be considered for UCLA and UCI honors transfer benefits. The Completion Form must be submitted at the end Spring semester (April).


Yes, you need to have completed all four workshop requirements before submitting the HTP Completion Form. 


It is your responsibility to keep track of all workshops you attend. Please contact the HTP office for verification concerns.


You must take honors designated courses in order to earn honors credit. Almost all honors courses are listed in the ECC course schedule with an "H" in the number, such as Sociology 101H: Introduction to Sociology.

However, some courses do not yet have "H" designation but they are offered as an honors course (or have a specifically designated honors section). Read the course description in the catalogue to ensure that particular section is offered for honors credit. 

Honors courses without an "H" will have a "T" transcript notation. Please check your transcript upon completion of the course. If you do not see a "T" notation next to that particular course, email us at or call our office during normal business hours at 310-660-3815.


Although not mandatory, it is highly recommended to have your educational plan done before you apply.


An EdPlan is your educational plan. This is a list of courses recommended by an El Camino College counselor for your first year of college.


No. There are no workshops in the Summer or Winter. You only must attend a workshop in the Fall and Spring semesters.


They can still apply and upload their most current high school transcript. Then once they graduate in June, they will have to upload their updated transcript on our website. You can find the dates and deadlines on the HTP webpage.


You can find a list of honors courses on the HTP website. Additionally, honors courses can be filtered when searching ECC's online course schedules and lists are available for current HTP students on HTP's Student Canvas site.


It is your responsibility to keep track of your workshops. Please contact the HTP office for verification concerns.


Unfortunately, you cannot make any course an honors course. You must take an honors designated course for honors credit. Honors courses are listed in the course schedule with an "H" in the number, such as Sociology 101H: Introduction to Sociology.*

*Some courses do not have "H" designation yet but offer an honors section. Read the course description in the catalogue to ensure that particular section is offered for honors credit. 


An Honors Contract is used for certain students in specificed programs/courses to receive honors credit for the course. The HTP is not a contract program. Honors credit is offered only in designated honors course taught by Honors Faculty. 

However, there are two exceptions to this policy:

  1. Students in the First Year Experience (FYE) or Puente may ask for an Honors Contract for English 1A and/or English 1C.
  2. Students enrolled in Chemistry 1A, 1B and/or 4 may request an Honors Contract from an instructor approved by the HTP. 

Please Note: A maximum of two contracted courses may count toward the five honors courses requirement.


If you completed an honors contract with FYE, you may use that course towards the five you need to complete the program. There will be a "T" on your transcript to indicate you received honors credit for the course. 


Our campus office is staffed Monday - Thursday, 9:00a.m. to 4:30p.m.

During office hours, you can reach us at 310-660-3815. You can also email us at


Because we believe so deeply in the value of participating in an honors conference while you are at ECC, the Honors Transfer Program, Associated Student Body, and other key ECC groups fund our students’ participation in these events! 


Participating in undergraduate research is one of the best ways to prepare to excel at a four-year institution and for graduate school. Researching allows you to pursue your own interests in depth and to practice the kinds of data collection and analysis that you will need throughout your academic and professional careers. Researching while at the community college also helps you set yourself apart when you apply to transfer to a four-year university. For all of these reasons, the Honors Transfer Program emphasizes research in all classes and offers our students the opportunity to apply to several honors conferences each year.


An express counselor can assist you with applying AP courses from high school for college credit. 

Learn more about Counseling.


No. Unlike high school, you will not receive a bump in your GPA for honors courses.


Contact South Bay Promise for program-specific questions.


Steps for the Prerequisite Clearance Process

  1. If a student believes a course taken at another college or university meets the prerequisite for an El Camino College course in which he/she wishes to enroll, the student may submit a Prerequisite Clearance Form and appropriate documentation for review.
  3. To submit a Prerequisite Clearance Form, please complete the form:
  4. Make sure that all attachments have your identifying information - name, student ID number, etc.  Clearances with incomplete documents will be delayed and/or denied.
  5. The hours of operation for the online prerequisite clearance processing are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Fridays 9 a.m.-1 p.m.  Emails received after hours will be reviewed the next business day. Allow three to five business days for processing online clearance.

To make an appointment to see Dr. Rene Lozano, you must contact the Transfer Center.


To get more information on the Honors Transfer Club, please contact the HTP office.


You must take at least one honors course every Fall and Spring semester (for a total of five). You may take an honors course in the Winter or Summer but it is not mandatory. 


You must attend at least one workshop in the Fall and Spring semesters (for a total of four). You cannot rollover a workshop. 


You can find a current list of workshops on the HTP website and HTP's Student Canvas site (for current HTP students).


HTP schedules are located on the HTP website. If you attended a workshop that is not on that schedule, then it is not an HTP workshop and it will not fulfill your workshop requirement for the semester.


UCLA TAP is the Transfer Alliance Program agreement that the ECC HTP has with UCLA. UCLA TAP gives HTP students priority admission consideration. 

Learn more about UCLA TAP.


If you are admitted to UC Irvine as an Honors to Honors student, you have already completed your community college’s honors program with a 3.7 GPA or better.  Students entering Campuswide Honors as Honors to Honors transfer students will be required to take one honors research seminar or one course toward completion of their school/major honors program during their first year at UCI. All Campuswide Honors students also engage in a minimum of two quarters of research that culminates in an honors thesis or creative project.


The UCLA Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) gives you the opportunity to enhance your ability to transfer to UCLA at the junior level from a California Community College. Students are certified after completing the honors/scholars program at their community college and given priority consideration for admission to UCLA's College.

Learn more on the UCLA TAP website


You can find a full list of majors in the on the UCLA TAP website


Yes. If you plan to apply to UCLA as a member of the HTP, you need to be TAP certified.

Learn more about becoming TAP certified.


Berkeley Transfer Alliance Project (TAP) is a highly successful academic advising and enrichment program serving more than 1,000 underserved students at 45 California Community Colleges. Participants receive support services designed to facilitate their transfer to the University of California and other baccalaureate-granting institutions. 


To get more information on TAP to Berkeley, visit the UC Berkeley TAP website.


There is a Guaranteed Transfer Admission Agreement with Loyola Marymount University (LMU). In order to qualify for the guaranteed admission transfer agreement, students must fulfill the following conditions as outlined in the official LMU Guaranteed Transfer Admission Agreement:

  1. Earn the minimum cumulative GPA as outlined in the agreement for your specific major. a. Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts: Minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA b. College of Communication and Fine Arts: Minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA c. College of Business Administration: Minimum 3.50 cumulative GPA
  2. Complete a minimum of 30 transferable units including any additional coursework as required by your major. Please see a counselor for specific details.
  3. Programs NOT included in the LMU Transfer Admission Agreement: All majors in the School of Film and Television, and all majors in the Seaver College of Science and Engineering.
  4. Submit your application to LMU by the February 1 deadline. 5. Meet with a transfer counselor about specific major preparation requirements relating to the three colleges listed above (#1).


TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee) is a contract between you and a specific university. The Career/Transfer Center maintains an up-to-date list of campuses that offer TAG agreements. Since requirements vary among different campuses, it is important that you attend a TAG workshop and meet with a transfer counselor before the end of September.


To get more information on TAG, visit the Transfer Center.


Articulation System Stimulating Inter Institutional Transfer (ASSIST) is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information available about student transfer in California.


No, they are different. To apply to the HTP, you must complete an online application form with an essay and your unofficial ECC Transcript. 

Learn more about the application process.


Yes.  See the information regarding rolling over an honors course.


IGETC is the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC), a general education program that California Community College transfer students can use to fulfill lower-division general education requirements at a California State University, University of California, and some California private universities, and out-of-state universities.


You must complete five honors courses in order to complete the program. These five courses are general education courses that you would have already completed while achieving your bachelor’s degree. Because of this, you would be ineligible for our program.


Once you have completed, you will not be allowed to rejoin the program.


There are a few ways to show proof that you completed the program:

  1. You should have a permanent notation on your ECC transcript stating that you completed the Honors Transfer Program.
  2. If you filed a petition to graduate, you will have a notation (HTP) next to your name in the ECC graduation program.
  3. You can provide your HTP Completion Certificate as proof.


There could be a few reasons for not receiving a completion certificate:

  1. You did not submit the HTP Completion Form.
  2. You did not meet the requirements to be certified.
  3. You did not attend the HTP Completion Ceremony to receive your certificate.

Contact the HTP office for more information.  


We're sorry to see you go, but we understand that plans change, requirements may not be met, or you have decided to join another support program. In order to exit the program, submit the HTP Withdrawal Form (located on the HTP website).