Satisfactory Academic Progress

Maintaining your financial aid award eligibility is important to your success as a student. We’re ready to help you understand what is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and the Loss of California College Promise Grant (CCPG), and can also provide assistance to submit an appeal in case you lose your financial aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Loss of California College Promise Grant (CCPG) Policy and Appeal 

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require that all financial aid students meet minimum academic standards in order to receive financial aid payments. Minimum financial aid academic standards at El Camino College are defined in the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy (pdf).

Financial aid policies are in effect for all El Camino College students, including students who have not applied for financial aid. 

What is SAP?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Additional Information about SAP

What are the Academic and Progress standards for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG)?

The California College Promise Grant requires students to have a cumulative completion rate (progress) of more than 50% and a cumulative (academic) grade-point average of 2.0 or higher to be eligible for the California College Promise Grant.

Info on CCPG Loss

Your SAP/Loss of CCPG status can be accessed on the Financial Aid Self-Service Portal. Please check to verify if you need to submit an Appeal Form using the online application. If you are in warning, please do not submit an appeal as it cannot be pre-approved for the following term.

Students who lost their federal financial aid due to not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and/or students who lost the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) due to not meeting Academic and Progress Standards, can file an appeal online.

To get started, complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress and California College Promise Grant Appeal Form.

Please refer to the acceptable reasons for submitting an appeal as outlined in the Appeal Form. The Appeal Form must be submitted with a current, counselor-approved comprehensive Education Plan or Lock-in-List (Max Time Frame Appeal only).

The Appeal Form is available online. It can be submitted from any computer, tablet, or phone. A comprehensive Educational Plan or Lock-in-List (Max Time Frame Only), Academic Transcript and additional supporting documentation can be easily uploaded.

If you have questions or need a paper version of the Appeal Form, please email the Financial Aid office at to request an Appeal Form by mail.

We will include a self-addressed prepaid envelope so you can mail the Appeal Form back to our office for processing.

If you exceed the maximum time frame to complete your program you will need to submit an Appeal Form and meet with a counselor to complete a Lock-in-List (LIL).

LIL is a special education plan that is given to students who need to file an appeal because they have accrued over 90 attempted units or because they already have an associate degree or higher. The only courses that are placed on a Lock-in-List are those that are required for the student to receive a degree or certificate from El Camino or to transfer to a four-year institution.

Students on a Lock-in-List may not be paid for repeated courses, nor may they change their degree objective or transfer major or take courses that are not on their LIL – unless they wish to do so for a fee waiver only. Students on a Lock-in-List must maintain a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.0 and complete at least 67% of units attempted each semester.

You can request someone to contact you for a LIL Appointment for a Maximum Time Frame Appeal

The Appeal Form must be submitted with a current, counselor-approved educational plan. All appeals for Satisfactory Academic Progress must include a Comprehensive Education Plan or Lock-in-List (Max Time Frame Appeal Only) that includes all coursework required to complete an associate degree, a vocational certificate of at least sixteen units, or plan to transfer to a four-year college or university.

Below are some of the extenuating circumstances and examples of supporting documentation that may be considered for an appeal.

Reason for Appeal Examples of Documentation
Illness, accident, or circumstance beyond student’s control Documentation verifying onset or circumstance and duration of illness or situation (doctor's note, hospital records, accident/police report, etc.)
Death of an immediate family member Death certificate, obituary notice, funeral program, or other documentation supporting the circumstance and the date of the occurrence
Newly diagnosed disability or complications with an existing disability that contributed to poor academic performance Documentation verifying the situation (Documentation from a medical professional, hospital, or the Special Resource Center)
Student with disabilities who applied for but did not receive accommodation in a timely manner Attach requested accommodation documentation verifying the date and duration of the occurrence
Changes to economic situation Documentation verifying the circumstances and dates of changes to economic situation such paycheck stubs or bank statements (Please remove any Social Security Number or account numbers from the documents submitted)
Evidence student was unable to obtain essential support services Documentation verifying date and request for essential support services
Special consideration of factors for CalWORKs, EOPS, DSPS and Veteran students Documentation of situation to be reviewed for special consideration
Homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless Documentation verifying the circumstance. Students who are unable to obtain documentation verifying homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless should contact the financial aid office to meet with the Homeless Youth Liaison.


  1. Encountering a situation that could have been anticipated, such as the need to have transportation, the need to pay for ordinary living expenses, the need for child care, etc.
  2. Dissatisfaction with course material, instructor, instructional method, or class intensity.
  3. Lack of motivation or interest.
  4. Participation in extracurricular activities.
  5. Academic overload or attempting too many units.

The California Chafee Grant is a federally funded grant administered by the California Student Aid Commission also known as CSAC.  SB 150 allows Chafee Grant recipients a more flexible SAP policy than other forms of aid.


Chafee Grant Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards

Students who fail to make SAP for two (2) consecutive semesters, must meet with an academic advisor to develop an educational plan for improving their academic progress or update an existing plan to have continued Chafee Grant eligibility.

Students who continue to fail to make SAP for three (3) consecutive semesters must once again meet with an academic advisor to develop an educational plan which will enable the student to succeed with their educational goals.

Students who fail to meet SAP standards for four (4) consecutive semesters shall lose Chafee grant eligibility.  The student will receive a written notice of the process for appealing the loss of the Chafee grant.

The student will automatically regain Chafee Grant eligibility if one of the following applies:

  • The student achieves either a 2.0 GPA during the previous term or a cumulative 2.0 GPA.
  • Submits documentation that demonstrates the existence of an extenuating circumstance that impeded successful course completion in the past but that has since been addressed such that the student is likely to demonstrate satisfactory Academic Progress in the future.
  • Provide evidence of engagement with a supportive program either on campus, such as Guardian Scholars or EOP, or off campus program that is assisting the student make continued academic progress.

A student who loses Chafee grant eligibility due to SAP who is not enrolled for one or more semesters will regain eligibility upon reenrollment at ECC.

To learn more about this program, visit or call (888) 224-7268, or email your questions to with “Attn: Chafee” in the subject line, or write the commission to:


California Student Aid Commission

Specialized Programs Operation Branch

Attn: California Chafee Grant Program

P.O. Box 419029

Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9029

Fax: (916) 464-7977

Questions? Contact Us

Financial Aid Lab

Student Services Building 229

Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


Phone: (310)660-3593 ext. 5493

Financial Aid Help Desk

Online Financial Aid Support

Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.